Mix Wiz Question (older model???)

• Members

I've been looking to buy a Mix Wiz and I'm looking for some opinions on this mixer, which appears to be an older version:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/2808364730.html

Am I correct in thinking this older version is very similar to todays version? Are there newer features in later versions that I can't live without? At $350, this looks like it's a good deal if the features are comparable.

By comparison, I can get a newer model Mix Wiz for $675 plus tax used at a local music store.

• Members

The boards sound the same. The older version has a number of missing features however. Old one has plastic jacks and nuts on the rear instead of metal so they can break. Old one has no FX built in. External FX can only be routed to monitor one if that matters. No mono output fader. Old one requires internal modifications (cut traces) to convert mon sends between pre or post EQ.

New version has the mono fader, built in FX, metal jacks, and removable jumpers for configuring pre/post EQ for monitor sends. FX can be sent to mon 1 & 2 (I believe that is the limit but it may allow more, read the manual.)

Frankly, I owned and used the original version for 6 years and except for a broken plastic jack, the other things never bothered me, but you will have to decide what the extras are worth to you. If I was looking for a Mixwiz and lack of onboard FX wasn't an issue, I would buy the one you posted because the other things don't really bother me, but they are significant to many people.

• Members

The boards sound the same. The older version has a number of missing features however. Old one has plastic jacks and nuts on the rear instead of metal so they can break. Old one has no FX built in. External FX can only be routed to monitor one if that matters. No mono output fader. Old one requires internal modifications (cut traces) to convert mon sends between pre or post EQ.

New version has the mono fader, built in FX, metal jacks, and removable jumpers for configuring pre/post EQ for monitor sends. FX can be sent to mon 1 & 2 (I believe that is the limit but it may allow more, read the manual.)

Frankly, I owned and used the original version for 6 years and except for a broken plastic jack, the other things never bothered me, but you will have to decide what the extras are worth to you. If I was looking for a Mixwiz and lack of onboard FX wasn't an issue, I would buy the one you posted because the other things don't really bother me, but they are significant to many people.

On my 2 year old model, I can send FXs to aux 1-4. Pretty happy with it.

• Members

There is another version of the 16-2 between that board on craigslist and the current model. Ours is a 10 year old 16-2 with built FX and no plastic jacks or nuts. FX can be routed to aux 1 & 2 only and phantom power is global rather than per input as on the new version. I don't know how long ago it was that tthey added internal FX and upgraded the jacks, but I think you might want to hold out for a newer used one. $350 sounds a bit steep for one which must be over 10 years old.

Winston

Archived