Time to shop for a mixer...

• Members

Okay, I ordered the speakers and a couple monitors (four RCF ART312As and one-for-now JBL PRX618S-XLF sub) so now I'm looking at mixers...

and I'm thinking digital with on-board processing.

I had a Yamaha MG206C, dbx and behringer processing, and a Livewire 50' 16/4 snake in a big-ass heavy box I built. I won't need to replace the QSC GX5 and cheap monitor amp since I'm going powered speakers

• Members

IME (which is pretty limited) more digital = more complicated. Typically this means it's going to take more time to work out the bugs. Especially coming from behringer which doesn't have a good track record to begin with. I see a lot of people on this board with the Presonus 16.4.2 and they don't seem to complain at all about it.

I have a mackie board right now (analog) and I love it for what it is. The newer mackie stuff is manufactured overseas and has a reputation of being less rugid than the older US stuff. Plus, a lot of people seem to dislike mackie on this forum.

• Members

In harder times I used an EP2500 as a main amp before QSC came out with the GX-series, but other than that, I wouldn't use anything Behringer for a critical application.

I fully appreciate the well-deserved speculation about Behringer, but I think Uli's trying, and somewhat successfully in stages, to bring his name above that reputation.

I also see that x32 as a loss leader to get into that market, at least at the lower end, and I can't imagine him blowing something like this with any hopes of redeeming his company

Not that $2500 wouldn't be a kick in the ass for me if it weren't dependable, but I think I'd take that gamble. I could always bring my old Yamaha MG16/4FX as a backup, haha

• Members

The X32 is a lot more mixer than rock band running their own sound needs IMO, and that's assuming it's ever released and works properly. I do think that a digital mixer is the way to go for the portable rig because it replaces a lot of outboard gear. I still use a first generation Yamaha 01v and i still love the damn thing. Mixing auxes on faders is great and I finally rigged it up to mix on my iPad which means the old dog has some new life. There are finally starting to be some interesting choices besides the Yamaha 01v and some of them are approaching things from different angles. The Mackie is interesting to me because of its size, the software functionality and price. Reliability is the most important factor IMO though. If it craps out mid show you're screwed. On that issue only the Yamaha and Presonus have real track records. Everything else is just vapor ware at this point....especially the X32.

• Members

FWIW, even though I'm way more comfortable with knobs and sliders than with menus, the experiences relayed by Stratguy22, Abzurd, and others have me seriously considering an SL board, too. I guess the "good news" is I have other things on the expansion plan to buy before another mixer gets to the top of the list. Mark C.

• Members

You're gonna have to pry my 16.4.2 from my cold dead hands before you get me to use anything else.

Marko,

Just so you know, my last mixer before my SL was the Yamaha MG206C. The transition to the StudioLive was easy as pie for me. I did watch tons of SL videos on youtube before I bought it. So when it arrived, I felt very comfortable operating it right from the start.

The way the SL is laid out makes me feel powerful at my gigs. I can navigate around and do things so quickly on it because it is not menu driven like other digital boards. This board gives you knobs and faders to use just like an analog board. That is why it is so comfortable for me. Plus add all the built-in processing on every channel and you have a very powerful tool at your hands. I am still very happy with my purchase, but what sealed the deal for me was using it on real gigs.

That is when you truly start to understand and appreciate this board.

• Members

You're gonna have to pry my 16.4.2 from my cold dead hands before you get me to use anything else.

Marko,

Just so you know, my last mixer before my SL was the Yamaha MG206C. The transition to the StudioLive was easy as pie for me. I did watch tons of SL videos on youtube before I bought it. So when it arrived, I felt very comfortable operating it right from the start.

The way the SL is laid out makes me feel powerful at my gigs. I can navigate around and do things so quickly on it because it is not menu driven like other digital boards. This board gives you knobs and faders to use just like an analog board. That is why it is so comfortable for me. Plus add all the built-in processing on every channel and you have a very powerful tool at your hands. I am still very happy with my purchase, but what sealed the deal for me was using it on real gigs.

Would a SL 24.4.2 get you to let go? LOL

• Members

I had an American made Mackie that showed it's age when I got the StudioLive mixer. I would never buy an analog mixer again. in fact, I am thinking about a second one that when combined will give me 32 channels.

Not only do I not have any outboard gear needs, I also don't need my 100' snakes anymore. I shouldn't have to tell you how convenient it is to be onstage with the musicians to get their monitors worked out using an iPad. It will be just as easy if the mixer is onstage with you. There are at least two members here that I know of who mix from onstage and are happy.

Go to the Presonus forum website to see what some of the people there have to say about their mixer. Sure, you will see some with problems, but most of the time it is user error related.

• Members

There's also an iPhone/iPod touch app, that lets each band member control their monitor mix from the stage. You set up your basic mix.

Then you determine which channels are "you" (say your guitar & vocals) then if you need more "you" you can bring that up in your monitor mix, while leaving the rest of the band mix in your monitor the same.

Oh, and it's a free app. Look it up, it's called QMix

And you can record your gigs as well,

• Members

Marko,

Thanks so much, I

Archived