Quick question regarding the input on a piece of gear

• Members

My IEM headphone amp can take a 1/4" Aux Send, or a 1/4" speaker cable from a floor wedge/monitor so that I can feed my monitor mix using that line (in case an Aux Send can't be extended to me). My only concern is that the input on my headphone amp is 1/4" ONLY, with no SpeakOn or XLR option...which, I have to assume may end up being the case at some venues.

Is there a way to safely adapt from SpeakOn or XLR to 1/4" for this type of application?

Thanks for any help.

• Members

You can feed your headphone amp from a power signal going to a monitor wedge??

:freak:

I hope you don't have them in, when you plug it in. That doesn't seem good...

Buy or make a TRS to XLR adapter...

As for speakon, I personally wouldn't plug headphones into a 300W signal going to one of my monitors.

• Members

Your unit must have a serious pad (on the order of 30-40db) for speaker level use.

If you used an adapter, you would still have the same problem with it pulling out at an inopportune moment. I'd recommend gaff tape (plug in the 1/4 phone and loop the cable back up against the unit and gaff it all the way around (you're creating a strain relief). I take it your I.E. unit is mono?

Anyway short of drasticly modifying the case (and probably mucking it up in the process), that wold be my best advice.

• Members

Is there a way to safely adapt from SpeakOn or XLR to 1/4" for this type of application?

Thanks for any help.

You can buy adaptors, or cables to achieve what you want to do.

Yorkville made some tops that could accept speaker level, and Yorkville still makes most of their subs to accept speaker level. If you're talking about safety.... don't mix up which signal is which. Using a line level with the speaker pad won't give you enough juice, and using a speaker level without the pad - well that's way too much. So remember to keep them straight.

Back to the cables. I prefer short adaptor cables (as long as they cost much less than the stage length ones). Adaptors can sometimes put stress on the unit itself or might have to sit in an inappropriate spot. For TRS to XLR conversion, I picked up a bunch of reasonably priced TRS/XLR ten footers that store easily, and sometimes work all on their own. I also own a bunch of adaptors, just in case. OTOH you might not want to carry a 50' adapted cable, so maybe a speakon to 1/4" adaptor would be better. Here's a link but I'm NOT familiar with this particular adaptor so I can't vouch for it. It's just an example of what's out there. http://www.zzounds.com/item--NTKNA4LG

Anyhow, your choice. Get what suits you best. Just remember to pay attention to the pad switch.

• Members

Beware that you do not take a bridged output into the headphone amp. Many new lightweight class D amps use an internal bridged connection that can case the same problem. Destruction of your headphone amp or your monitor amp could result. Confirm w/ the manufacturer that the unit is protected under these conditions. Most are not.

The one posted does not say.

Archived