Yet another upgrade question for you pros! JBL SRX questions.

• Members

My club band is currently running a system that belongs to 2 of us. Right now, we have 2 SRX718 subs per side. We use either 1 SRX715 per side or 1 MRX525 per side, depending on the venue.

My partner wants to sell his MRX725s and upgrade to SRX.

Does it make more sense to go with another pair of SRX715s to match mine? Or should we go to SRX722s?

I like the idea of another pair of SRX715s because we could get more horizontal coverage, but we'd need to figure out how to get them above the subs when the subs are stacked on top of each other. Most places don't have enough real estate on the stage to allow us to put them side by side, using a pole on each sub.

My thought is to either find narrow scaffolds, or to have them built. They would be tall enough to put 2 subs on top of each other underneath, and wide enough to put 2 SRX715s on top.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

• CMS Author

Lowe's and HD (or possibly only one of them) sells small scaffolds. I've seen two sizes. One is blue, really small and amateurish (relative to 'real' panel scaffolding) and the other is yellow, looks very similar to 'pro', and is larger. Check the ladder aisle. If they aren't a good fit, buy whichever is too large and have a shop chop and re-weld them to exact size. Paint black, season to taste....

• Members

Lowe's and HD (or possibly only one of them) sells small scaffolds. I've seen two sizes. One is blue, really small and amateurish (relative to 'real' panel scaffolding) and the other is yellow, looks very similar to 'pro', and is larger. Check the ladder aisle. If they aren't a good fit, buy whichever is too large and have a shop chop and re-weld them to exact size. Paint black, season to taste....

Great idea! My son is a welder/fabricator, so this would be really easy for him.

Do you think the 715s or the 722s is the way to go?

• Members

Why not just add more 715's using stands to array horizontally or stack vertically horn to horn? Wouldn't 2 715's have more output than a 725 or 722?

This is what I would recommend as well. A little difference in the horn/driver but IMO it would be pretty much a wash except that the 715 would be a smaller lighter package per box and might have more flexability overall.

• Members

Keep in mind the 718s he would be stacking on have a really low profile.

In the initial post, the discussion was to stack the 718s and use suitable scaffolding to elevate the tops. The OP also was looking at wider horizontal dispersion, IIRC. The horn to horn stacking was in a discussion about maximizing SPL. OTOH, I might be missing a more subtle point. Mark C.

• Members

If the places you play are not big enough to set a couple speaker stands on each side of the stage you shouldn't have to worry about more coverage.

But we do several gigs a year that it would be necessary. On smaller gigs, we'd just use a pole over a single or even two 718s. But at some of the gigs, we play ballrooms or outdoor gigs where we'd use 2 tops per side, and 3 subs per side. Even on those gigs, stage room is at a premium.

• Members

Depending on the gigs you do, the scaffold rig offers the opportunity to mask your speaker stack. White fabric for weddings, black for corporate work, etc. Just use big flat panels to wrap three sides, attach with spring clips, and you can dress up your rig. It might not be important for the things you do, but it would be pretty cheap for lightweight fabric. You would probably want to apply a fire-retardant treatment, or at least keep that in mind when buying yard goods. Mark C.

Archived