Just wondering...Set Monitors first or FOH first....

• Members

My Brothers,

We have a (5) piece dance band, sax, keys, guitar, bass, and drums. One monitor mix. Just wondering; is there a correct order of which to set first? Monitors or FOH?

We do FOH then monitors. Jazz group sets the FOH behind us for double duty.

For larger venues, we get a sound contractor and let him take care of it.

• Members

I prefer to get the monitor mix dialed in first. FOH will usually enhance monitors. But if you're relying on FOH as part of your monitor mix, when you get asked to turn down or drastically change the FOH, for whatever reason, the monitor mix will suffer. Of course all this is when time permits. Sometimes it's a throw and go deal and you do what you can, when you can.

• Members

Monitors. I'm just a weekend warrior, but all but the biggest places, the PA augments the stage sound. Makes sense to dial that in first. If you dial in FOH, then you start getting more or less sound on the stage, then you'll need to tweak FOH anyway. On the other hand, other than some thump from the subs, FOH doesn't really affect the stage sound at all.

• Members

I prefer to get a level in FOH first as that affects the sound on stage... especially the low end from sub wraparound. If I have to do monitors first, I will drop their level a couple dB when I bring the house in to keep balance in perspective. So, it depends.

Same process here.

• Members

I guess it depends on the situation. For my bar band that plays small rooms with crowded stages, it works out better to do the monitors first and then bring up the FOH. Some places have asked us to turn down so much that all we were using was monitors! But we're old, deaf rockers.

Archived