Ibanez Pro Rock'r tremolo woes / swap

kadrocker

• Members

First off- I'm not familiar with tremolos whatsoever. I'm used to Gibson tune-o-matic and Fender Strat trems. However, with my Strat, I don't actually use the trem- I have 5 springs on it, blocking it off.

I have an Ibanez Pro Line Flying V from the mid 80s. It has a tremolo on it called a Pro Rock'r. It's not like a Floyd Style trem, you can only push down on the bar, you can't pull back on it.

I would like to do one of two things:

1. Take the Pro Rock'r out and drop in an OFR or simular trem. Anyone know of a direct drop in by chance? With quick research I found out I'll have to heavily modify and route my guitar out more. I also saw at quick glance that a Kahler with drop right in. I don't know a thing about Kahler so i will have to research on that.

Or

2. Find spare parts for my Pro Rock'r! My trem currently works but a lot of the parts on it are wore out. It has little blocks for saddles that need screwed down to hold the strings in. They're getting wore out, so are the screws. Maybe I could get a machine shop to make me new ones? I've looked on eBay for parts and they're quite hard to find.

Any suggestions/help/advice is appreciated.

I'll try try and get pictures up tomorrow of what I have. I'm pretty beat and need sleep.

I have a teething four month old- I barely had time to write this post!

• Members

Thanks, badpenguin.

I'd really like to not cut up my guitar body if possible. Only mods I'm into are pickup swaps!

I'll just keep an eye on eBay for spare parts. Like I said, my parts are getting worn, but still work. String changes are getting tough, hard to tighten stripped screw heads.

I bet I could get saddle blocks made for me. Where I work there is a machine shop on location and someone there owes me a small favor.

Any other input or advice for the time being?

• Members

Oh wow, that'd sure make life easier. I'll look into it. Thanks again.

I I was gonna take screws to the machine shop and show them, they can order so many different things. If they can't get them by chance I was going to try the hardware store like you mentioned.

Thanks badpenguin, you've been a help.

Archived