How much tweaking is necessary if using presets on a Driverack+?

• Members

We're switching to 2 SRX715 subs and 2 SRX715 tops per side. All QSC 3102 and 3602 amps.

Is it advisable to use the pink noise setup in the room each time we go into a new place, or are the presets in the Driverack a good starting point? The reason I ask is that in some of the rooms we play, we're not allowed to even do a soundcheck before we start. Pinking the Driverack would be out of the question. If we skip this step, how much (if any) are we sacrificing?

We have an incompetent 'soundman' who is only there because he's married to our singer and she insists on it. He shows up 2 minutes before a show, so we do the setup and dial-in ourselves. He pushes faders, and knows nothing else. So, once a show starts, we don't have much ability to adjust on the fly.

• Members

The Driverack automatic tuning is not very good so you are not giving much of anything. More often than not, the finished sound is worse than the starting point. The presets should go a long way to getting it right as far as crossover and limiting. If bi-amping speakers, they do the tunings for you. If using the cabinets internal crossovers, they will set the sub to top crossover for you. They won't do room EQ.

The important thing is that if a speaker system is matched well, crossovers are right, limiters are in place, etc. you can take the system outdoors one time and use the automatic mode repeatedly until you get a system that sounds right to you. Outdoor settings remove the reflections you get in rooms. When you finally get it like you like it, save that setting and stay with it. My experience is that if you really spend the time to get the system right under these conditions, the changes you see room to room do not make or break the system. It will perform pretty well in any environment you go to. Minor changes might be made by competent sound men with time to do it, but if you don't have that, you will get most of the benefits from the one good outdoor session.

• Members

Here is the preset I currently am using for my 715/718 setup. This is running the 715 passive. It has gotten me in the ballpark for most of my gigs.

718's:

HPF BUT 18 31Hz

LPF LR 48 88Hz

EQ:

68 Hz + 2db Q-5

41.7 Hz + 1.5 db Q-5

SRX 715

HPF LR 48 91 Hz

I usually find myself cutting some 500- 700Hz on the 715's.

718 RMS limiters set at 1000w 4 ohms, Peak limiters set at 120v

715 RMS limiters set at 800w 4 ohms, Peak limiters set at 110v

Archived