PRX618S-XLF Polarity

• Members

I was looking through the user manual for the PRX618S-XLF, and noticed that the polarity of the sub was set to reverse instead of normal when used inconjunction with the PRX612M for FOH. However, when used with the PRX625 the manual shows polarity set to normal. I would have expected the PRX line to all use normal polarity settings with speakers in the same series. Does anyone have experience with the XLF polarity setting? Why would the engineers designing the series make it this way?

• Members

You must be looking at page 26 of the manual. The is a note to see page 22 (it should reference page 21). The polarity inversion is suggested when the sub is located some distance away from the top(s), as in the sub-satellite configuration shown on the right hand side of page 26. At least that's how I read it.

Whether or not the polarity inversion works better or worse on any given setup is a trial and error thing. As I recall, there was a similar thread a couple months ago.

Mark C.

• Members

Thanks for the reference to the note in the manual, I missed that since it was in the drawing above where I was looking. Your right, it appears that the settings refer to the single sub configuration rather than a dual sub.

• Members

I was at a music store last week talking to a guy about some QSC HPR powered subs. I told him we were going to be using 4 at our gig that night. He said I only use one because when he uses two it drops down to 8 ohms.:confused: I said how does that happen since it is a powered sub. He says I don't know but when I try to use both of them it is only half as loud.:facepalm: I then explained to him about the polarity switch. I think he will be in for a surprise next time he uses his PA.:lol:

• Members

I was at a music store last week talking to a guy about some QSC HPR powered subs. I told him we were going to be using 4 at our gig that night. He said I only use one because when he uses two it drops down to 8 ohms.
:confused:
I said how does that happen since it is a powered sub. He says I don't know but when I try to use both of them it is only half as loud.
:facepalm:
I then explained to him about the polarity switch. I think he will be in for a surprise next time he uses his PA.
:lol:

Stupid is as stupid does.

Even powered speakers is too complex for many folks. Ugh.

Archived