The top ten most underrated synths

Phil O'Keefe

I guess some people were more forward-thinking and didn't give a darn about peoples opinions about Casio.

According to Vintage Synth, Blondie and Human League ( among others ) used the CT-101!

I did not know that. A friend of mine had the somewhat nicer CT-202, which is what led me to the CT-101. I don't recall ever seeing anyone else with one. Can't say the same about the Pro One... wink.png

• Members

The CT-655 was a great starter keyboard, but after a couple of months, I realized that I was already looking for the next "big thing" from Casio.

For one, the 655's piano had an unnatural decay-it kinda "fell off the cliff" rather than nicely disappearing to infinity.

Second, it didn't have any cool fuzz guitar tones and my demos were rapidly heading towards a need for such tones.

Then, one fine day in April of 1990 I walked into Costco and discovered the CT-670!

Oh boy!

• Members

Since we're into all things Casio now, in the mid 90's I bought a Casio PG-380 guitar synth. It was a Strat-style guitar with a Casio VZ module built in. This was pretty rare and innovative to actually have the synth sounds in the guitar, rather than from an external module. It also had a slot on the back for RAM cards. I later bought a Casio VZ-10M synth module as a "workstation" to edit sounds, load them on a card and use them in the guitar. The synth engine was pretty deep (and complex). At the time, the guitar was being officially endorsed by Stanley Jordan, an amazing jazz guitarist. Casio had a pretty decent pro line of products for a while, that was far beyond their earlier consumer electronics.

• Members
Since we're into all things Casio now' date=' in the mid 90's I bought a Casio PG-380 guitar synth. It was a Strat-style guitar with a Casio VZ module built in. This was pretty rare and innovative to actually have the synth sounds in the guitar, rather than from an external module. It also had a slot on the back for RAM cards. I later bought a Casio VZ-10M synth module as a "workstation" to edit sounds, load them on a card and use them in the guitar. The synth engine was pretty deep (and complex). At the time, the guitar was being officially endorsed by Stanley Jordan, an amazing jazz guitarist. Casio had a pretty decent pro line of products for a while, that was far beyond their earlier consumer electronics.[/quote']

The PG-380 came out in 1987. Before that, Casio had a well received line of CZ series of synths, culminating with the CZ-5000 later on in 1988 (?)

The VZ-1 Synth was released in 1988. The VZ-10M was the module version of this synth.

Casio was gaining a strong following before the timeline that you state.

The CT-101 (1981)

http://www.vintagesynth.com/casio/ct101.php

• Members
The CT-655 was a great starter keyboard, but after a couple of months, I realized that I was already looking for the next "big thing" from Casio.

For one, the 655's piano had an unnatural decay-it kinda "fell off the cliff" rather than nicely disappearing to infinity.

Second, it didn't have any cool fuzz guitar tones and my demos were rapidly heading towards a need for such tones.

Then, one fine day in April of 1990 I walked into Costco and discovered the CT-670!

Oh boy!

I spent an HOUR examining and playing the CT-670 and also gave it the "piano acid test".

Even without benefit of a sustain pedal, the piano presets faded naturally into the sunset!

One problem though. I still had the CT-655 on my hands.

I went into minor debt, however, and bought the CT-670 the next day.

A few months later, I sold the 655 to a nice church group from the valley.

The CT-670 would be my main ax for the next five years.

Even today, it still sounds great!

https://soundcloud.com/skyy38/bender-mob-remix

Since we're into all things Casio now' date=' in the mid 90's I bought a Casio PG-380 guitar synth. It was a Strat-style guitar with a Casio VZ module built in. This was pretty rare and innovative to actually have the synth sounds in the guitar, rather than from an external module. It also had a slot on the back for RAM cards. I later bought a Casio VZ-10M synth module as a "workstation" to edit sounds, load them on a card and use them in the guitar. The synth engine was pretty deep (and complex). At the time, the guitar was being officially endorsed by Stanley Jordan, an amazing jazz guitarist. Casio had a pretty decent pro line of products for a while, that was far beyond their earlier consumer electronics.[/quote']

I remember using one of the first FZ-1's in the studio way back when - Casio was killing it back then, and doing so at very reasonable / low price points for the era.

Archived