One of my new subs was DOA

• Members

When I got mine recently I dissected them. The amp modules are actually made in China, however, the build quality looks quite good. I'm guessing you probably just have a speaker lead that came off in shipping. I've had these delivered by LTL Truck on a skid, and from Fed EX. FedEx beat the box up a fair bit, and that would probably be why your lead came loose if that is indeed the case.

Just a thought, while Zero has been through hell with his, that's really the ONLY one I've read about here that has actually really failed, and while he's been through hell with getting it fixed, I'd think that's the exception rather than the rule. I'd still take JBL over Mackie, Peavey or anything Ringer any day of the week.

I have a powered VRX sub that failed during a live show that is in the shop. I never created a thread but did mention the sub in his thread. It is covered under warranty. Going on the 6th week tomorrow. Waiting on parts from jbl.

• Members

Yikes.... glad it was an easy fix and you got it figured out.

Although, how did that pass QC at JBL? Either they didn't check that it was/wasn't connected, or they didn't ensure the connection was secure and wouldn't vibrate off. Not a good sign for JBL manufacturing in Mexico.

• Members

Works perfectly.

Awesome! Been following this thread since before I joined because soon I have to buy a new PA, since my OLD nineties JBL MR + Crown Macro Tech system just isn't cutting it and it is WAAAAY too big lol. I have been looking at the PRX line, and was concerned after reading your thread about the 618s-XLF's, but it sounds like your issue is resolved! Now I just have to figure out what in the name of everything holy is happening with the PRX635's!! From what I hear they are randomly shutting off on some people and the theory seems to be overheating issues.

• Members

Yikes.... glad it was an easy fix and you got it figured out.

Although, how did that pass QC at JBL? Either they didn't check that it was/wasn't connected, or they didn't ensure the connection was secure and wouldn't vibrate off. Not a good sign for JBL manufacturing in Mexico.

I'd have to say that this was not something that happened in transit. Looks like it left the manufacturer that way. That is a little disheartening but the fix was quick & easy and the sub sounds awesome. All in all, I'm not upset about the purchase.

• Members

I'd have to say that this was not something that happened in transit. Looks like it left the manufacturer that way. That is a little disheartening but the fix was quick & easy and the sub sounds awesome. All in all, I'm not upset about the purchase.

I tend to agree. While the molex type connector does have a locking latch on it, even without that it's still a friction fit connection, and the cable weight alone is probably not sufficient mass to cause it to disconnect just by bouncing around in transit. What you have is a case of the assembler missing that one as it came down the line. I HAVE seen cases where spade lugs have fallen off drivers because the rounded bits on the sides were loose to start with (easy enough to cure with pliers).

At any rate, it's an easy enough fix, and a reminder why it's a good idea to preflight everything you guy prior to having to use it for real. In the last month I've seen the following items on sound forums:

A factory mic cable with pins 1 & 3 reversed.

Power amp that shipped without a fuse installed.

Powered speaker unboxed at gig only to discover it was missing an IEC cable and they didn't have one.

Active non phantom powerable DI that didn't ship with a battery.

5 Pin DMX Cable with a couple pins shorted due to a poor soldering job.

Powered cab with an unplugged amp module (yours).

All of these gigs suffered simply because new stuff was bought and assumed to be working without actually testing it.

Folks, when you buy stuff, play with it before you have to put it to work.

I just bought a bunch of those GSR12's from PSSL for a couple festivals I have coming up. Every one of them has been unboxed, dissembled to look for obvious manufacturing defects, then reassembled and tested with an RTA to ensure the cabinets response is relatively uniform between each copy, and then finally a 6 hour burn in test with alternating 1 hour blocks of pink noise and program source. There is a thing known as infant mortality with electronics, and if something's going to fail right out of the box or shortly thereafter, I'd prefer it to be in the shop than at a gig.

• Members

In our case it was kind of a test. It was a 7th & 8th grade sleepover at a school. It was for my business partner's daughter so it was a non-paying test. The second working sub was enough to cover the room. I would never just take new gear to a gig without taking it through it's paces. Luckily the second sub worked but if it didn't, the PRX512s would have done fine on their own.

• Members

Speaking of the GSR12, I also purchased a couple from the PSSL sale. Sound is quite good considering price, but one of them has already had a woofer go down. It feels like the voice coil is rubbing hard. Problem is not abuse; they have been used four times for a karaoke show in venues not larger than 50 seat. Contacting Avid for an RMA was a slight challenge; finally discovered to go to avid.com/audiorepair to find the phone number. Got a representative on the first call who sounded outsourced but was quite helpful. Took ~ 1hr after call for RMA to show up in email. Still had original packing so shipped it via UPS yesterday. Now waiting to hear what happens next.

• Members

I bought two new 618-XLF's a couple of weeks ago but have not had the chance to fire them up and won't for another couple of weeks. I'm a JBL fanboy but if I have a problem with them then I might think otherwise. I want to get a couple of 635's but now I'm hearing they have some problems. WTF is up?

• Members

Telecruiser, I hear you, man! I am having a discussion about the PRX635's Vs. the 615's Vs the 612's in the thread I created about new gear I needed, and, like you, I am VERY concerned that the 635's have been receiving a ton of complaints about randomly shutting off or dying. I may be wrong, but the common perception seems to be that this is some sort of an overheating issue endemic to the 635's.

• Members

I know for a fact that we pushed our older PRX512s to the limit many times over the years. Had one intermittent woofer and took it to an authorized shop. Brought it in on a Monday and had it back on a Wednesday, no charge. At the time I had it for over 5 years. It was some minor amp issue and it hasn't had a problem since. Even after my minor mishap with the new 618-xlf I'm still a fanboy. The system just sounds so damn good...when it works. It did give me pause but a simple disconnected cable is a PITA but not a deal killer. QC can't check every unit so an occasional problem will slip by. Now if this becomes the norm that would be bad. Hopefully JBL QA people are paying attention.

Yes, it is nice living 20 minutes from an authorized repair shop, too.

• Members

At the time I had it for over 5 years. It was some minor amp issue and it hasn't had a problem since.

This is great to know. What is the official JBL warranty? I mean, like you, I always lean toward JBL, but that 6 year warranty from QSC is undeniably attractive. :)

• Members

Agedhorse, what do you mean by enclosure? Are you saying that the actual cabinet has a different warranty than the speaker and other electronic components inside the cabinet?

Yup. That's not uncommon. Our warranty on our stuff is 3 years for everything but the LCD displays in the products, which is 1 year.

• Members

This is great to know. What is the official JBL warranty? I mean, like you, I always lean toward JBL, but that 6 year warranty from QSC is undeniably attractive.
:)

It was actually just out of warranty (by a couple months) but the tech said it was a known issue and they fixed for nothing. No questions at all. Showed up, dropped it off, got a call, picked it up. The receipt really didn't shed any light on what was wrong. No real info on the paperwork.

• Members

Well awesome that you are getting it fixed! I was just about to ask you how your "new subs" could be out of warranty then smacked myself on the forehead Homer Simpson style and realized that you only meant "new" in that they are newly yours. lol

• Members

Agedhorse, what do you mean by enclosure? Are you saying that the actual cabinet has a different warranty than the speaker and other electronic components inside the cabinet?

Yorkville, has a 2 year "even if YOU break it" warranty, and an additional 10 year warranty on the enclosure.

• Members

Well awesome that you are getting it fixed! I was just about to ask you how your "new subs" could be out of warranty then smacked myself on the forehead Homer Simpson style and realized that you only meant "new" in that they are newly yours. lol

The repairs were on a PRX512 about 5 years ago. The subs are brand new and one had a disconnected amp on delivery. It was easily fixed. I can see why that was confusing.

• Members

Hate to say "I told you so";) NO, actually I'm glad to say it! That was an easy fiix.

As I said in my earlier post, a dealer I talked to said they have seen this same problem on other PRX products. I'm afraid it is a direct reflection on the quality control at their Mexican plant. I hope someone from JBL is reading this.

Archived