Upgrading Subs, need opinions/input...

• Moderators

Presently, I'm running a pair of these EV S-18 1x18" subs, under a pair of SRX712Ms, powered by a QSC PLX3002:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ev%20s-18&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CGMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Felectrovoice.com%2Fdownloadfile.php%3Ff%3DS18%2520EDS.pdf&ei=yKXCT5DhC8XN6QGz_PC4Cg&usg=AFQjCNGX9FN6rVp7oN9bQsIkLBaWIS3j8g&cad=rja

I'm seriously thinking of downsizing/upgrading to a single PRX618S or PRX618S-XLF, if it would give me approximately the same acoustic output.

The goal is to make a 6RU, lightweight rack that kicks ass for small club gigs, augmented by an active sub, when needed.

Plan is to use an Ashly MX-508, Ashly 1RU 2x15 GEQ and an IPR3000 to run the 712s, and another pair, for monitors.

Mounting a simple Boss reverb pedal in the back, for basic reverb use.

Max 100 people clubs.

Thanks in advance,

MG

• Members

I think you could get rid of your cross-over, run your main L&R out into each XLF, then run back to your PLX3002 and then speaker wires out to your SRX712's and have a really nice sounding rig that could easily handle a club of 100. IME it could likely handle ~200 people at club volumes and sound fantastic.

• Members

Do you currently split your subs L-R or center couple them? (It's a 3 db difference in output.) I don't have any direct comparision experience, so I'm just trying to make a spec-based comparsion. Sorry.

If you go with the PRX 618, definitely go for the -XLF version. If you are going to carry only one, go for the gutsy one. Mark C.

• Members

I think it would be pretty close.

If only someone could do a shoot out between the following-

Yorkville ls801p

Rcf 8003as

Jbl618-xlf

Although the pricing structure is different they are all pitched at about the same level.

• Members

Yorkville ls801p

Rcf 8003as

Jbl618-xlf

Although the pricing structure is different they are all pitched at about the same level.

I think thats a bit unfair on the JBL... at least here in aus, its far cheaper than the other two, and much lighter.

• Members

I think thats a bit unfair on the JBL... at least here in aus, its far cheaper than the other two, and much lighter.

I said there was a pricing diff, my point was people are comparing them in the same category. One might be a Porsche and the other is Ford but people are using them for the same load.

• Members

The S-18 is basically the same class as the EV Eliminator sub, except front loaded, made of the same OSB, similar to the JBL 918 in concept anyway. I'd actually like to buy a pair (in good working order) because I like them: light on power (handling too), box shape, pole cup on top. Cons: carpet, light on power, I'll never find a pair that hasn't been beat to hell.

1 PRX618 vs 2 S-18? Well, S-18s make excellent speaker stands. How about you look at things a different way:

Powered system vs passive. start there and I think other answers will fill in...

• Members

Yorkville ls801p

Rcf 8003as

Jbl618-xlf

I'm wondering what happened at the subwoofer shootout that was supposed to take place March 19th, at RedBassman's shop.

See this thread;

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-2748010.html

• Members

I have a pair of PRX618S-XLF's and a pair of CVA118's. The band sounds better with the PRX, but you can get more "woof" and boom from the CVA's. Additionally, the PRX's appear to have more output overall. With both subs set to sound "good" with the tops, the CVA's run out of gas earlier.

The PRX's are a punchy speaker, but the CVA's will fill a room with more bass soup.

I have not A/B'd the LS801P, but I suspect that it has more CVA like characteristics (and likely gets even louder).

• Members

I'm wondering what happened at the subwoofer shootout that was supposed to take place March 19th, at RedBassman's shop.

See this thread;

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-2748010.html

I dunno ? if it were a true blind test type of speaker shootout. I'd would give it credit but most speaker shootouts I've see are a stage full of speaker and the listner can see the brand name and then you have the fanboys so IMO it make the speaker shoot out flawed. :facepalm:

let me run sine waves and then measure their SPL at 10 meter :lol:

then I know what I'm getting but anyway to the OP I betting you's be happy with a single XLF as long as your not trying to push it to keep up with your tops since your tops would probably over power just a single XLF.

FWIW 1 single LS801P is like having a pair of XLFs but their heavy for one guy to dead weight lift into a back of truckbed. You'll find the web full of love affiar post with LS801P owners. :love:

• Members

I always assumed the subs were behind a curtain - something made to not effect sound - and the music was played truly blind. Best sound wins without ever seeing the logos. I can certainly believe the logo would influence what is heard.

• Members

I always assumed the subs were behind a curtain - something made to not effect sound - and the music was played truly blind. Best sound wins without ever seeing the logos. I can certainly believe the logo would influence what is heard.

Some shootouts do that but some don't just depends who doing the shoot outs.

Archived