Question about how many power circuits we should be using (and addition of new cabs)

• Members

While I run PRX 600 series gear, I will gladly pay attention to a step-by-step tutorial on setting the various cross-over, amp, or DRPA parameters appropriately. Knowledge and understanding are good things to have. Mark C.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

and heres the thing...I dont know if the guy who set it up did so in relation to the maximizer (and of course im no expert when it comes to all the stuff so I have no idea what IM saying and telling you guys too :-()

but maybe he had the maximizer all jacked up one way before the cross over and used the crossover to "tame" that or compensate or something weird?

Again I have no idea just throwing this out there

You said earlier that you had four different sound guys and their companies look at your system. Were these sound guys professionals with real companies, or more of the 'hobby' kind of sound guys? Based on your pictures, it seems like the settings you are using are way off. Did the people you had look at your system actually go over your gear and look at all the settings, amps, etc. ? Just curious, as it seems very strange that your could do so many shows like that. Have you been out front of your PA while a sound check was under way and actually listened to the subs? Can you tell if they are producing significant 'thump' from the kick drum/bass guitar?

• Members

A guest engineer doesn't usually start messing with the backbone of the system, it isn't considered good to retweek someone's gear on a gig. If you do get someone whose all about rebalancing the system before a gig you should think twice before keeping him on the gig.

• Members

A guest engineer doesn't usually start messing with the backbone of the system, it isn't considered good to retweek someone's gear on a gig. If you do get someone whose all about rebalancing the system before a gig you should think twice before keeping him on the gig.

If you're replying to my post (not sure), the OP said he had four sound guys/companies evaluate his system. He gave the impression this was not done by guest engineers on gigs. It seemed more like an evaluation of his system. That's why my post was wondering how this could be missed, if indeed those actual system settings and that crossover are being used.

As to guest engineers 'not messing with the backbone of a system', I would hope that any decent engineer mixing on a system for the first time would at least take a look and see how things are set up, and if they came across settings that were clearly wrong or dangerous, would talk to the band, explain what's up, and make any obvious needed changes after getting the band's OK. This is not to imply people should be going into DSPs and making changes willy-nilly, but an analog crossover is pretty easy to check for settings that should seem mainstream for the gear involved.

• Members

And this brings up a good question of "sound edicate". As the guest engineer (or whatever title you like) if a band/promoter pays you to run someone else's system, isn't it that engineers call as to what he does or doesn't do? Of course not talking about damaging a system, just running it as they see fit.

• Members

It's a fine line that guest "engineers' walk.

There are certain protocols that are typically followed, things like protective limiting is usually off limits (of course this assumes there's plenty of rig for the gig), and on a properly configured system operated by knowledgable system engineers, starting with a flat house graphic and whatever system parameters that are programmed, the guest will take a look on Smaart or an RTA, and listen to the system as well as walk the room for coverage before messing with anything. This is usually what I see and it seems to be a reasonable approach.

NOW, there are situations where things are obviously not right, where the system response is poor, things appear not to be working correctly, and those are the situations where additional troubleshooting work may be needed. That's not the world that I work in typically BUT I have worked as a venue TD on a show where a promoter brought in a sound "company"(I use that term loosely) that was not up to the task, was in way over their heads, and that's when things begin to go very south.

• Members

hey sorry I havent gotten back to you
I had a baby shower on sunday and on monday we went and got all the rest of the stuff we needed ;-) and have just been busy busy...

Im going to forward this on to my singer.

I appreciate all you guys have done so far!

• Members

You said earlier that you had four different sound guys and their companies look at your system. Were these sound guys professionals with real companies, or more of the 'hobby' kind of sound guys? Based on your pictures, it seems like the settings you are using are way off. Did the people you had look at your system actually go over your gear and look at all the settings, amps, etc. ? Just curious, as it seems very strange that your could do so many shows like that. Have you been out front of your PA while a sound check was under way and actually listened to the subs? Can you tell if they are producing significant 'thump' from the kick drum/bass guitar?

real sound guys with multiple systems that are better than ours, work every weekend guys.

The best I can figure is something got bumped or screwed up in the meantime.

when we first had the system set up the first guy put it all together (he bridged the subs and it was his idea to run that wayect...)

our subs were outperforming the tops

so it was like that for a long time

then we took it to sound guy number 2

to get the tops up to par

he didnt care for the bridging of subs (Ive talked to my singer about this and he told me this) anyway we did that and it was working good.

He did more of a rock mix if that makes sense

also he had the maximixer turned way up for some reason

(now its back down)

so later when we got the new board we had another sound guy who runs that board look at it all and mess with it and we are where we are today...I dont know if he put the crossover that way or if it got bumped.

My singer said he said something to this effect "It was set more of an old school way before and im going to set it up a newer way"

I dont have ANY clue what that means or if it just got bumped since then and we didnt fix it.

Ive thought for a little while that the kick sound have been a little weak...but we use electronic drums and I had assumed that he was using a different patch (he had the head repaired and the thing was reset to factory and he had to reprogram his patches).

Ive also thought it was a little bright...but I had just assumed it was an eq issue not the crossover.

The more you guys have talked about it and the more time Ive had to reflect im thinking thats been an issue here.

Archived