Need another pair of SDC's..

• Members

Get a festy coming up where two of the acts will need 6 SDC's.

I've already got a pair of modded Oktava MC12's and a set of EWI 300c's, and unless you folks have any suggestions in that price range, I'll just order another pair of the 300c's..

Anything else out there in that range I should consider?

• Members

Ok, so in doing a bit of research, I'm between the 603's and 300C's.. Can't find Pro37's used, and for as seldom as I'm going to need to have 6 SDC's at a show it doesn't justify the cost of new 37's.. That being said, here's where my head is with the 603/300C's:

Both are about the same price for a pair. The 300C's have 0, -10 and -20 pads, which I've never needed to use (bluegrass). The 300C's also have a 75 and 150 rolloff switch, which I DO use, particularly since the studioLive's HPF isn't very steep at all, and I often press these into service as crowd mics when recording live, and in that case I use the 150 rolloff, which works quite nicely.

The 603's have neither pads nor rolloffs.. SO I guess the operant question would be to those who have hard both: Are the 603's better than the 300C's for stuff like percussion (Djembe's, shakers, toys, OH) and the occasional non di'd mando/fiddle/washboard?

• Members

I'd get a 2nd pair of the C300's then, it's better to have a matched set of mics on stage. Why 6 of these? Is it a choir or something?

Just missed your post when I was typing the one above, which covers my rationale at this point. As for the need for 6? I have two bands at an upcoming festie that have 2 percussionist each with a lot of stuff, along with 2 instruments per that have no pickups to DI with, thus the need for 6 SDC's. This is pretty rare in my world (in fact it's the first time I've ran into this), and I'm usually using my existing pair of 603's for the crowd mics, leaving my my Oktava's for on stage use. So it wouldn't hurt to have a second "on stage" set available. I also agree that it helps to match, and while I could use all 300C's on stage and the modded octava's for the crowd mics, they're so much better than the 300C's, it seems a waste to dedicate them to just recording the crowd.

Archived