Crown XTI 4000

• Members

I have my system set up in the garage, no A/C. I have a show this Saturday. It was a bit warm in there so I decided to see what happens when pushed in heat. It was about 89 yesterday, guessing about 95 in the garage, cranked up the amps to about 10 % from peak, about 10 min the thermal light came on on one of the channels, it kept going even with the light on and once I trimmed it back light turned off. :facepalm: The fans are turning. Once I opened the garage door and let air move through the building it eradicated the thermal overload as well.

I did buy it used and have run it at about 10 shows with 0 issues, I do have an extended warranty through GC, and I know if I send it in I'm looking at 6 weeks return time IF they fix it and/or give me a refund.

Question is this: How would a tech in a shop troubleshoot if it's a amplifier problem under uber hot conditions? If they can't recreate the problem, I'm afraid they will say 0 problems found send it back and I'm still stuck with an amp that may overheat. I have some outdoor shows coming in August outdoors so I expect extreme heat.

Amp is running pair of JBL MRX 518's, stereo. Thanks!

• Members

Are you sure your amps aren't doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing when they're supposed to be doing it? If you're in a higher ambient temperature environment and you know it may be a problem, put a box fan on your amps to help them move the heat out of them. Make sure you know which way the amps move air and that you're helping them and not hindering them.

• Members

I think they are doing what they are supposed to do, but I thought it would handle the temperatures a little better, but IF that amp is going bad I don't want it and want to get my investment returned before it smokes the speaks, that's my concern. My concern is one channel did it and the other didn't.

• Members

Have you opened it up and looked at the insides for accumulation of dirt/dust/etc? Checked the amp with SystemArchitect or Band Manager? I have a rack full of XTIs (4000s and 6000s) and have used them for all day shows in heat that stayed at 100

• Members

Yes I have band mgr, good call I'll hook that up tonight and take a peek see what it says under idle, a temp gauge would be a sweet thing to have on these amps, anyway I'll have a look see what software says. And it's under warranty, I don't want to put too much work into this, time is money, that is why I get warranties.

• Members

Good morning, I hooked up band manager and put amp under same conditions, the red thermal light did not come at all, however in band manager channel 1 would show yellow under a heavey push. I know when I first installed band manager a couple months back it did push out the updated firmware.

I found this: http://www.audioforums.com/forums/showthread.php?22329-Crown-XTI-Amp-Problems

Are there some known issues with the early releases of these amplifiers? I was going to take the amp out, open it and go over the PCB with some compressed air, really all I can do about it. Possible I have one of these early release XTI's with issues? Thanks!

• Members

There is an issue with early models. The display and dsp had a ribbon cable that had crimp problems. It would cause one/both channel(s) to be intermittent. Sometimes it worked and other times not. Crown has a list of serial numbers that are affected. I had one with that issue. 4 years after I bought it, the problem showed up. Crown said the serial number did not match the list. The symptoms were dead on for the issue. After talking with a very nice service rep, she said "that serial number is close enough in my mind. I will send you a fix." The fix is a new display and ribbon cable. It is less than $150 for both, and they are only available that way (paired.) I have heard on another board that a few people with skills and tools cur off about 1/4" of the ribbon cable and re-crimped the connections, which fixed the issue.

That is the only issue I am aware of and I was both an early adapter of them and a multi unit user. I have 5 and will likely buy more.

• Members

Mine has not had the intermittent issue, just heat issue channel 1. Also that display does seem to flicker when lows hit, I guess I'll have to call the serial # in to verify. Also I did update the firmware with bandmanager when I first receive the amp.

Archived