NGD.....my own stuff, sorta.

J Backlund

• Members

If Billy Gibbons doesn't own one of one of each of those -- especially the bottom retro-future Tele -- I don't know why. They both seem right in his wheelhouse, but the Tele-style looks like it was made specifically for him.

Some years ago, Billy Gibbons did try out a JBD-100 guitar, and although I was told that he liked it, he never ordered one, and I don't know if he was ever even aware of some of my other guitar designs, but because none of them are currently available anyway, it's a moot point. You can never predict what will appeal to people enough to make them want to own something, and that's just life. It's all good.

• Members

Very cool and love that group shot! I like them all, but if I had to pick one, the Neptoon would be high on my list. I have to say, you got lucky hooking up with Marco. He is a wonderful craftsman and I think really did your designs justice.

• Moderators

What a thread. I can't profess to be a huge fan of the stylings on those guitars, but I can appreciate them for what they are, unique works of art and luthiery. I think it's a shame there wasn't more access to guitarists in the UK as theyt would appeal to so many British guitarists in the same way the Vox Teardrops and a few other unique guitar did.

Also I find it quite sad, that it took the good heart of your wife to enable you to have that guitar, and pretty shabby that you don't yet have a JBD-400

Happy New Your Guitar dear chap

EDIT: I didn't realise you'd gone low end and I'd be well up for a JBD800-B

Dsc03123.jpg

• Members
I think it's a shame there wasn't more access to guitarists in the UK as theyt would appeal to so many British guitarists in the same way the Vox Teardrops and a few other unique guitar did.

I would love to see some of these models made available in England, as well as Europe in general, of course.....or as it stands now...maybe even in my own country.

I've been trying to get a JBD-100 to English Guitarist Bill Nelson for a few years now. He expressed an interest in them from the start but I haven't been able to supply one to him yet and it's been very frustrating to me because I very much want him to have one. He's quite the fan of unusual and even 'quirky' guitars, especially if they exhibit something of a 'retro'-futuristic' styling theme. I'm hoping that there will be some Retronix R-100's available later in the year, and if so, he'll receive one as a priority...and I might even be able to snag a couple for myself as well.

I had a Bruce Bennett-built JBD-100 for several years, but traded it to a builder for the construction of two of my current prototypes, which, to me, were very important instruments to have. I also had a Korean-built red/ivory Retronix R-100 last year for a time, but it was needed by the JBD/Retronix company to supply to Kimberley Dahme of the band Boston, so I sent it back to Chattanooga for that purpose. My R-100 was technically on-loan from the JBD/Retronix company and was one of abourt six R-100 model 'proofs' that the Korean manufacturer had sent to them.

• Members

If you'd asked me, I would have told you I wasn't into this retro-futuristic styling either, but I really love the look of this blue one and the orange one in your group shot above. I like "quirky" guitars. Premier Guitar did an article a few month ago on long gone (mostly) Japanese models and I would love to own most of them.

Guitars that are too asymetric like the green one on the left in your group shot are a turn-off to me though. Everyone's sense of esthetics will be different.

Archived