JBL STX-825 Power with ITECH-4000.

• Members

Under powering does not cook speakers. Pushing an under powered amp to the point of clipping will increase the voltage to the speaker and cook it by over powering it. Just sayin'.

You obviously know the difference, but if you don't know and you read that whitepaper, you're going to risk over-excursion every time you turn the system on. My point is that JBL is giving people bad advice. You're point that JBL isn't saying that unerpowering will "cook" them is taken, but they are saying underpowering will damage them... which is false on all accounts. Distortion/overpowering from clipping will damage them, but that's true regardless of how big the amp is.

Edit: I don't want this to be a "you're wrong, no you're wrong" thread, but when some noob who was told that underpowering destroys speakers finds his way to this thread, I don't want him/her to read your post and think that there is room for debate on the topic. It's pretty clear that we both know exactly what you mean... I'm just worried about the guy that ends up googling his way into this thread and blowing up his brand new speakers.

• Members

"when an amplifier runs out of its undistorted power, it is forced to Exceed its design capabilities, producing dangerous power levels rich in high frequency distortion."

At the time this was written many amps did not use limiting and power was much more expensive. Now amps have caught up. Physics didn't change but the access to stupid power did.

• Members

1. Purchase an amplifier with more power than you need. I guess I was right to over power my speakers (which I have not blown) Good resource. Says there it makes my transients clear and crisp using lots of undistorted power. I use it in a real world scenario. Seems to be right on. (puts up shield for Mr Horse's comments on how mythical this theory is)

• Members

1. Purchase an amplifier with more power than you need. I guess I was right to over power my speakers (which I have not blown) Good resource. Says there it makes my transients clear and crisp using lots of undistorted power. I use it in a real world scenario. Seems to be right on. (puts up shield for Mr Horse's comments on how mythical this theory is)

You are more lucky than right. Your advice is poor for MOST folks here, perhaps you just don't realize it (yet).

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hi

Am from india and i have some clarification on the gear i have, my PA Consists of Jbl Stx 825 and my subs Jbl 828

The Stx 825 Specs are as follows

Nominal Impedence @4 Ohms

Continous Power Capacity : 1600 watts

I use A LAB Audio Amp 5.6 @ 4 ohms 1800 per channel

For My Subs 828s

Continous Power Capacity : 2000 watts

I use A LAB Audio Amp 8.0 @ 4 ohms 2500 per channel

I have dbx 260 crossover which i need to install and have my FOH set up....

My question here is 1. have i matched the amp and the speakers safely in order to avoid any uncertain blowing up etc

2. How do i set up my dbx 260 corssover....

Your advise will be highly appreciated

Geltbrs

• CMS Author

Hi

Am from india and i have some clarification on the gear i have, my PA Consists of Jbl Stx 825 and my subs Jbl 828

The Stx 825 Specs are as follows

Continous Power Capacity : 1600 watts

I use A LAB Audio Amp 5.6 @ 4 ohms 1800 per channel

For My Subs 828s

Continous Power Capacity : 2000 watts

I use A LAB Audio Amp 8.0 @ 4 ohms 2500 per channel

I have dbx 260 crossover which i need to install and have my FOH set up....

My question here is 1. have i matched the amp and the speakers safely in order to avoid any uncertain blowing up etc

2. How do i set up my dbx 260 corssover....

Your advise will be highly appreciated

Geltbrs

Your amplifiers are well-matched to the speakers. BUT....you need to understand that there is never a 100% guarantee that you'll never run into a circumstance that will result in damage. Matching power well is one part of the equation. The other parts are using processing correctly, and running the system with full understanding of what it can and can't do. There's also a certain amount of luck involved, but less luck is needed if the other factors are handled well.

As far as the 260 is concerned, lacking a specific set of tunings for the STX, in general you should start out by simply setting crossover points and types to the specs JBL publishes for the speakers. This is where it's homework time for you...it's important to learn and understand this stuff, so Pro Sound Guy's advice to read the manuals is correct...you can get yourself into a world of trouble if you don't fully understand the Driverack's functions.

Archived