What would you spend on a guitar?

billybilly

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The "problem" that I get into with spending more then a $1000 for a factory guitar is that I start to think, "I could build two awesome guitars with better specs for (almost) that money, or "I can get two used gems for that same money."

It just bugs me to have that much cash tied up in one guitar.

More then ever I see guitars as dilevery devices for pickpus.

If had 4 HsH guitars that were all RGs for example, they would all have different pickups, and so each would have a unique place in my collection. Of course the same goes for Strats. Give me five SSS strats and I'd have a different approach to pickups in each guitar. It is a lot of fun.

The down side to modding is that is addictive and I end up with my wallet taking a beating anyway.

• Members

It depends on the kind of guitar and the use of the guitar.

Not being a professional, I usually spend well under $1k for my guitars. And usually well under $500.

If I were a professional, I'd probably buy more expensive gear. Like if I were a professional classical guitarist...I'd probably be spending several thousands of dollars on a really exquisitely-crafted instrument.

But I recently bought a new Epiphone Dot for $359 that is just a fantastic guitar in every way. So I can't see spending thousands for a Gibson ES-335 or something like that, unless I'm playing Madison Square Garden.

• Members

The only problem with that is when your done you end up with a ummmmmm...........Partscaster

Yeah, for me a Fender Partscaster - something I put together myself, because Fender never would have put something out like this.

Stratmod1tc_zps5e000567.jpg

I've never liked their stock configurations, but they have excellent platforms for modifications, for those who can think outside the box. This delivers what I want out of a guitar - I subtracted and added things I wanted, and ended up with something that I never tire of picking up and playing; that's all that matters.

... Awaiting your smartass comment :D

• Members

Yeah, for me a Fender Partscaster - something I put together myself, because Fender never would have put something out like this.

Stratmod1tc_zps5e000567.jpg

I've never liked their stock configurations, but they have excellent platforms for modifications, for those who can think outside the box. This delivers what I want out of a guitar - I subtracted and added things I wanted, and ended up with something that I never tire of picking up and playing; that's all that matters.

... Awaiting your smartass comment :D

Oh see, that is cool.

Nice.

You tied the middle pup into the guard. Never seen that. Very nice. What did you make the guard out of? How did you cut it?

Switching looks pretty neat, too.

what pups you got in there?

• Members

Thanks, appreciated.

The guard's just standard 3 ply material. Terrapin Guitars cut it and put in the slots for the neck and bridge pickups; I did the rest, including the flat refinish - I don't like them glossy.

The pickups: BG Phatties neck and bridge; BG S90 bridge pickup in the middle, ideal in that position with its high output and adjustable pole pieces.

The mini toggle selects the middle or neck pickup to connect with the main switch, so the selections are: bridge, bridge+middle or bridge+neck, neck or middle.

It doesn't sound like a vintage spec strat, but still has that stratty vibe, especially with the neck pickup and the middle+bridge selection. Has very muscular tones with humbucker-like weight, but still retains some of that single coil top end and brashness. Tuned to C# and capable of pushing some very heavy stuff.

Archived