Already made - ANOTHER new one!

stickboymusic

• Members

This is a primo song, hands down.

So in all humility, I do have some things to say about the drums, take 'em or leave 'em.

There's a little swing in both the guitar part and the vocal. The drum groove is quite straight on the grid. Probably you want to retain intensity in that drum groove - understandable and I agree - but I don't think a little syncopation/swing in the groove would hinder that.

I'm not talking about making it "swing" at all - just something like the way Ringo plays Lennon's "Mother", but a bit more intense. The drums need to come in grooving with what's already been laid down rythym-wise, and just take it up and make it big, not be quite so different in feel.

If you want, shoot me a mix without the drums and I'll stick something in there to illustrate, just a few bars would be more than enough. Hard to describe verbally....

nat whilk ii

• Members

For what it's worth I didn't use any grid at all for this one... completely avoided pro tools and used Adobe audition which doesn't actually have one.... also I just physically played these drums in on my drum machine with no timing correction. I admit. The patterns become more basic as I'm just hitting them in live but I am surprised that they sound gridded.

Just had a relisten to mother and it's pretty straight all the way through.

Maybe I should send you a clip to illustrate your idea.

• Members

Well, I'm not explaining myself too well. Shouldn't post so late at night...didn't mean to say it sounds mechanical or quantized 100% or anything. And the Lennon/Starr example is not the best example to use - Ringo does stick in some hits later in the song which parts were what I had in mind....but most of it is pretty straight.

Yeah, if you're interested, send me something - but if not, you've still got a fine workup going. I'm always on a fence about whether to give this sort of advice since I think I listen more like a jazz fan than a pop/rock/alt fan and probably go on about stuff most pop/rock/alt types could care less about.

It's only when I hear something in my head regarding a track I really like that I tend to speak up about drum parts.

Anyone else on this? On my idea that the drum could use a bit of swing/syncopation to mesh better with the original groove set by the guitar and vox?

nat whilk ii

• Members

Anyone else on this? On my idea that the drum could use a bit of swing/syncopation to mesh better with the original groove set by the guitar and vox?

nat whilk ii

yes,the drum was distracting...the groove was a bit overwhelmed. I am not good enough to produce or instruct but I do hear things and I thought some light acoustic drumming would fit nicely.

Archived