Poor (almost broke) man's equivalent to the QSC K10???

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
Yeah, maybe it's because I am in NY City where many of the really hot clubs have goof house PA's and sound men employed by the clubs to man them. To be honest, most of the most successful bands have absolutely nothing that would make an experienced sound man sit up and take notice. Even on Long Island, where most of our gigs are, almost no bands have gear on the same level that people here talk about and that I am saving up for. The appreciable lack of gear owned by all these cover bands does not seem to hurt their success or following any. I don't remember once ever hearing an audience these guys play in front of complain, "Oh! Well this band would be really good if they upgraded those Mackie tops to K-12's and those weak ass Behringer subs to KW181's dammit!

This is why I have taken a little heat from my musician friends, including my own band for saving for the system I will likely be getting around the new year. Because they cannot even begin to fathom why, in the name of all that is holy, I would want gear that expensive "when the system I have sounds more than fine," to their ears and is already leaps and bounds ahead of what they are using in terms of quality.

The bottom line is that when you are playing bars, I honestly think that people care more about playing songs they want to hear AND how tight the band is. But whenever I field any {censored} as to why I am investing in gear, my answer is that I don't give a crap whether anyone at the audience level notices the bump in sound quality. I am not doing this for them, I'm doing it for me. I simply WANT this gear. I am seeing it as a sort of hobby to tinker with my band at the sound reinforcement level. I am under absolutely no illusions that 99% of my audiences will ever even know or care one way or the other.
When you're band members give you {censored} tell the guitarist that he'll be playing a Squire strat through a Squier 15 amp from this point forward. Hell, it's a guitar and an amp. So theres no reason to buy anything any more expensive right? Throw their {censored} back in their face with their gear. I have a feeling that they wouldn't skimp on their personal gear but they're fine putting thousands of dollars worth of instruments through hundreds of dollars worth of PA. Makes no sense.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived