Shadows #1 - IGNORE!!!!!!

Oswlek

• Moderators
Thanks for the response, Lee.

I'm not overly concerned with rhyme, but it was nice that shade/cliche paired up. I thought about just replacing it with "shadows" but a two syllable word doesn't sit right with what I'm doing melodically. Of course, I'm not sold at all on what I'm doing so I that might be adaptable around a better lyric.

Was the implied statement in your question that "shade" isn't working? Or was that just a reaction to my concern? And do you think I have more time to get to the chorus? That was another concern, whether V1 is dragging. If not, I'd certainly be open to stretching that out, maybe with a pre-chorus if I can find one.

Re: She said, I do that for the most part, except prior to the "cliche" line, which I thought made it pretty clear who was speaking. Do you think it needs to be said?

I haven't listened so take my comments with a grain of salt. Shadow doesn't feel right in that spot. She said seems to be needed but on listening I may feel otherwise. So... what are you saying? That she's evil? And you like it? Or something else?

• Members

Lee, think of her as the cliched bad influence helping someone who's too uptight learn to live a little freer.

As for the melody, I ditched the prior verse, but tried pilfering a bridge to turn it into a replacement verse and like it. The lyrics changed to this. Does this retain the cool vibe I was getting earlier?

V1

You think you're on to me, she said

You think you figured out my game

But I'm not ploying and I'm not toying with you

I just want you to stay

You think you're drawn to me

Like a moth to a flame

But I'm nobody's light and you're nobody's victim too

Yes we're the same

We are...

C

Shadows...

XXXXXXX

Shadows

Shadows....

XXXXXX

Shadows....

V2

What does that even mean, I asked

Wouldn't that make us need the sun even more?

No you can't have the dark without any light

At least that's what I'm told

Silly boy, silly boy

Do you believe every word they say?

WE shadows don't scatter into the night

No, that's when we come out and play

C

So, if this works, I just need a "surrender" bridge and two killer lines in the chorus. One of them should be something about breaking against the grain in some manner.

Thanks for any feedback.

• Members

If it should be, then it is. :)

Thanks, Bee. I think this draft captured the conversation snippet posted on page one that inspired this direction. Playing with it makes me feel like the verse matches the chorus a lot better now as well. Hopefully I'll have some crappy demo up within a few days.

• Members
I love this.

?

+1.

The only thing that "sticks out" for me is the cliches line. But I haven't listened to the demo yet.

I often wish you'd post new demos on the same page as the new lyric rather than have us navigate back to the top of the thread.

YMMV.

• Members

+1.

The only thing that "sticks out" for me is the cliches line. But I haven't listened to the demo yet.

I often wish you'd post new demos on the same page as the new lyric rather than have us navigate back to the top of the thread.

YMMV.

I do. I almost always post the lyric whenever I post a demo, and usually bring the updated lyric into the first post.

I didn't bother this time because I so quickly decided the demo was crap.

• Members

I do. I almost always post the lyric whenever I post a demo, and usually bring the updated lyric into the first post.

Yeah, I don't get why you do that. It makes it harder for me to follow the thread. Plus, I always like to have the original lyric to compare to the newer versions, etc.

• Members

Yeah, I don't get why you do that. It makes it harder for me to follow the thread. Plus, I always like to have the original lyric to compare to the newer versions, etc.

Hmmmmm... I always leave the original as well. I thought that was the way people liked it around here, the update on top with the original down below.

The problem with my threads is I go in so many different directions. In this thread alone I posted an idea, then a slight change, then another change to a set of music... then another change when I decided that music wasn't working. I think reading my threads backwards would be more productive. :angry06:

I should probably give myself a full day requirement before offering up ideas, but the problem is that a lot of times I don't realize I hate something until I post it here.

I'll post a reboot once I get a demo of the new idea.

Archived