Best way to run a 4 channel amp/speaker PA?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan

View Post

His quote from a contractor was $125k. I think we can do a little better than that.

I've run sound and lights for two university theaters, run sound at small venues, and had a small recording studio. I know how this stuff works in general, but i haven't been active in 5-6 years. Shaking off the rust here. What i don't have is experience specing out a system for a room this large. I was hoping you guys would enjoy helping me out here.

Update for those still playing: room is 75ft wide and 100ft deep.

You said you have prior experience in running sound but you need advice on this little project. Even if you been out of the game for 6 years, this should be a easy project. Just be honest with your intentions here. No honest sound man would even consider those Klipsh speakers.

• Members

View Post

I think the animosity is coming from some of you thinking that i'm somehow making money off this situation and you thinking you're more qualified to make said money.

Well, sorry for the lack of drama, but there is no conspiracy here. I'm not charging him a cent. He asked for some advice and i thought it'd be fun to do some research and spend his money. I figured a bunch of people who hang out on an Pro Audi forum all day could relate, but i guess they'd rather sit around conspiracy theorizing and giving me {censored}. I first joined this forums in 2002 (under the name dannydigital) and it used to be awesome.

I certainly didn't say anything about you making money off of this, in fact, I don't think you can.

This place is just as friendly now as when I joined, and pretty close to Craig's involvement as well. We are some of the very same folks wink.gif

• Members

View Post

I think the animosity is coming from some of you thinking that i'm somehow making money off this situation and you thinking you're more qualified to make said money.

Well, sorry for the lack of drama, but there is no conspiracy here. I'm not charging him a cent. He asked for some advice and i thought it'd be fun to do some research and spend his money. I figured a bunch of people who hang out on an Pro Audi forum all day could relate, but i guess they'd rather sit around conspiracy theorizing and giving me {censored}. I first joined this forums in 2002 (under the name dannydigital) and it used to be awesome.

I don't see anyone giving you grief, just asking questions, but maybe I missed something....

I'll say it again... The VP goes and gets a quote for $125K, that may or may not have been too high - it certainly was for the VP and that's understandable. But what I (and probably others) am having a hard time understanding is how he goes from $125k to 1 or 2% of that quote. That's a pretty quick slide to the bottom. This is where the confusion creeps inito the discussion.

And once more I'll say that you could probably get a multi speaker (six to eight) powered or unpowered system with mixer, a processor to eq and delay (if necessary), headset mics, some monitors, stands, cables, and a few other processing doo dads to interface with your projectors and such. This would essentially be a system you would see in a ballroom (or sometimes an exhibition) when a large company books a convention. Typically in that system the speakers are spread around on sitcks. However if needs be, you could mount/fly the system. Flying the system would cost much more money to do it properly. Flying the system improperly could cost you time in court - but people still do it anyway. In any case that system IMO could run in the $10k up to maybe $20k or even $30k (plus) region depending on the quality of the components and needs of the user. .

And IMO if you wanted an installed system it would be more. At least on an apples to apples comparison.

I'd like to ask again, what is the VP's budget?

• Members

There's nothing wrong with telling a contractor what your budget is and seeing what they come up with. I make jewelry for a living and pretty much always start custom job discussion with asking what the budget is as it helps to clarify what is and isn't possible for both parties involved. I still think getting proposals from licensed contractors is the smart approach to any project involving a business in a work/public space.

If you're not happy with the responses you're getting here, you could try one of the forums here instead. http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php#c1

Archived