anyone here have intimate & deep first-hand knowledge of EAW 850 rig?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Those cabs are heavy (I thought that my 4 TX8 cabs were bears.....).
We're currently using a 16 box system for the bigger shows. Our 16 box system is a Viking rig I put together 10 - 12 years ago... similar to JBL SR-4733 (mid-highs) and SR-4719 (subs)... about the same weight and size. The Viking rig has been adequate... no complaints what-so-ever from the customers... generally our reputation combined with price and availability gets us the job.

But... What I'm thinking is:

1) We're already hauling around some arguably serious tonnage. Our mid-high cabinets weigh approx. 150 lbs. each., and require a mininum of 3 able bodied folks to set-up and tear-down... although I do have the ways & means to set-up and tear-down single handedly without breaking a sweat (or having any disasters).

2) The 850 rig (KF-850zF & SB-850zR) is approx. 100 lbs. heavier per box, but I'm of the impression that the 850's are outfitted well for for setting into place with a forklift. IME: Setting up and tearing down systems of this size with a forklift takes the pain & risk out of that aspect. My Viking boxes are not as-well set-up for handling with a fork lift.

3) I have no-doubts the 850 rig would be more than adequate for our current steady jobs... and would likely offer some opportunity. At a minimum, I'd suspect "stepping up" to an 850 rig would do fine for the forseeable future... next 10 years or so just fine.

4) 48 boxes are available, turn-key: including dolly boards, Cloud-9 covers, amp racks (Crest power), processors (MX8750's), cables. I was first thinking about just getting 24 boxes... I dunno... it seems like everything happens at once: June thru September (fair and festival season here)... I could easily see sending out two rigs many of the weekends. I have the boards, monitors, mics & stands, lights, power distros, labor, transportation, etc... to handle an A & B stage on the same weekend... we do that already, but my B rig is pretty limited primarily due to the B rig FOH racks & stacks.

5) In our niche market, the requirement & budget either isn't there for a capable line array rig, or if the requirement and accompanying budget is seemingly there for a capable line array rig... standard of the industry line array rigs (Vertec) are available in the region (within a hundred or some-odd hundred miles one-way depending on availability)... and I refer those gigs to those who service that market... oftentimes after the customer gets quotes from the line array referrals they come back to me with a change in the requirement (after talking to the band's management).

I dunno... maybe I'll just stick with what I have and tread water for awhile longer.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Craigv View Post
Boy, I sure hear Andy giving you the answer you don't want to hear.......wink.gif
I'm hoping Andy can talk me out of the idea... that would be a lot less costly... undoubtedly for the short-term, and maybe for the long-term.

But, you only live once, and life is a learning experience.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger View Post
I'm hoping Andy can talk me out of the idea... that would be a lot less costly... undoubtedly for the short-term, and maybe for the long-term.

If I talk you out of one idea, I will end up talking you into another...wink.gif

• Members

If I talk you out of one idea, I will end up talking you into another...wink.gif

• CMS Author

Quote Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
True dat, but when the learning is about back pain, I'd rather learn by listening to wisdom.

I'd say "go for it" if it wasn't for remembering that there are two ends to ownership...buying, and selling...and that the former is MUCH easier than the latter. I'd be concerned that you'll have a much harder time finding someone else looking for a big heavy rig when that time comes.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Craigv View Post
I'd be concerned that you'll have a much harder time finding someone else looking for a big heavy rig when that time comes.
I figure on leaving that detail up to the auctioneer for my widow's estate sale.

I can see it now: "Step right up ladies and gentlemen, here we have another pallet of... uh... more stuff... do I hear $10? $5? $1... ok... throw the next pallet of... uh... whatever that other stuff is... now do I hear a buck?"

I figure the tools, license plate collection, tackle box & fly poles, and scooters should go fairly well... the pile of new in-the-box spare board modules and 80's vintage video game parts might be a different story.

Archived