Fender Selling Guitars Direct to Customers - Good or Bad?

BG76

• Members

Eleven million dollars is not really very much for a $2B / annual company to owe a major vendor (see: GC balance sheets, available online ... everywhere ...). An IPO for Fender would cost the company several times $11M just to the IB that ran the offering.

But I do agree that FMIC has to feel VERY exposed that their biggest sales channel is over leveraged.

Wonder what the sales figures via Amazon are?

• Members
here's the Bitch though. Who will plop down the money for a guitar' date=' sight unseen, or unplayed. Carven get's a way with it, since that's how it's always been with them. Fender, whose models vary constantly..... who knows what you will end up with?[/quote']

Many people would. AMS, Musician's Friend, Sweetwater, Amazon, etc... sell a ton of guitars sight unseen.

• Members

I would do it, if I could return it and have them pick up shipping or ship it for <$25. That said, at this point with the guitar market absolutely glutted, why wouldn't you buy used?

It's like pets, why on earth get a bred animal when there are so many wonderful animals at overfilled shelters?

Can't imagine a future where these companies don't have to radically downsize. Kind of how record labels had to confront a new reality of greatly reduced demand and adjust accordingly. I love guitar, but I don't see it ever being as 'front and center' in western musical culture as it was from 1965-1997.

Archived