JBL VRX & PRX Series speakers and subs

• Members
If you have room to fly 2, 18" subs and 2 main boxes, I would think you have room for the 735's. Also, PLEASE use professionals (as in, they are certified and get paid to do this stuff) versus "professionals" (someone who has hung stuff from ceilings before and it hasn't fallen yet).

BTW, how high are the ceilings?

That's part of the challenge. We're in a very old building and the ceilings are not flat, but rather a steep pitched roof. In the center it may be about 20ft, and at the side walls about 8ft. This is in a room with a total width of roughly 35-40ft. There are large wooden arch beams hanging down from the ceiling every 8ft or so, so the speakers need to fly low enough to clear the beams but high enough to not be in the way of things. (the beams aren't a single beam, but basically a wall hanging from the ceiling down several feet) That's why I was thinking a much taller 3-way speaker may be blasting half its sound into a beam in front of it, or hanging low enough to grab on to.

Powered speakers do sound like a good solution, there are just a few hurdles to jump over with the building owner in terms of the electrical work that would be required.

I've got someone dropping by later today who has installed many similar systems before, so I'll see what kind of feedback he gives and post back.

• Members

Correction...the ceiling is about 10ft high on either side and 25+ft in the center at a steep pitch. I have the OK to do any necessary electrical work.

Any recommendations on powered speakers and a sub? The QSC K12 gets incredible reviews, and the KW122 seems to be the wooden version of the K12.

• Members

Again, you need professional help in selecting an appropriate speaker for the job, things like coverage patterns, off axis response, power bandwidth, spl gradients are all things a pro would consider, none of which you have considered. If it were my job (yes, I do this for a living), I would be looking at a pair of quality powered speakers with an appropriate hf pattern and LF bandwidth and forget screwing with subs in a room that small. Flying subs is not all that great for many reasons. This may be a good place to look at more premium 15"- 2way powered cabinets, likely to be better with less hassle that using a flown sub.

• Members

Picked up a pair of QSC K12's for $680/ea. Ran them through the room EQ on the driverack and enabled the DEEP function. Really sound great - no regrets and no need for a sub in this room with these things! Very surprised at the amount of bass. Up on poles for now and will be flying in a week or two.

• Members

there are many good reasons to fly speakers in rooms when you can. 90 db at the mixer is doable with a lot of different equipment when there are no people in the way. Glad things worked out for you. Good price on the QSCs.

Archived