powered speaker advice

• Members

I said that later versions might be better, but the liklihood of variability is still there. Do you know the tolerance that they claim for the measurement system as a whole (using an internal mic)? That would be interesting info IMO.

Ringing out monitors looking at the frequency that's taking off... absolutely. Will work just fine.

They may be close enough (the newer ones), but I don't know for sure and neither does anybody else who does not have access to accurate test data.

I remember a visiting engineer coming to a gig a couple years back and hooking up his new I-phone app and walking the room in a rage claiming the system sucked and the response was terrible, not enough low or high end . He made quite a spectacle about it and berated my for bringing in a {censored}ty system in front of the client. Fortunately, I knew about the measurement mic problem and I pointed out (for all to hear) that both my Audio Precision and my laptop based measurement system looked perfectly fine and that his I-phone's measurement mic was responsable for the problem he was seeing. I pulled up the graph and showed him that his measurement looked pretty much like the response plot of the measurement mic. The look on his face was priceless as he {censored} his pants. He quickly went to his e-mail and sent a humbling appology for being a royal dick the night before. His hearing was not so good, I think he was hoping to rely on the app rather than his ears when fine tuning the system.

THIS, is why understanding what you are doing is so important. He made a fool of himself in front of everyone and worse, he alienated the client and the previous night's crew as well. God knows whatthe system sounded like the night before, I wonder what the system tech was thinking?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

About 7-8 yrs ago I saw Joe Cocker at a venue in NYC near the Wintergarten Theater. I forget the name of the venue but it held about 2,000-2500 people. Cocker was great but the sound was terrible. My friend and I couldn't believe how bad it sounded. It was distorted, had no definition, instruments were feeding back on lower notes, it sounded muddy and the soundman was just sitting there turning a few knobs now and then as if everything was OK. We couldn't have been the only ones who noticed how horrible the PA sounded. It was just smack in your face garbage.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

...amen to that! Gear doesn't make the music and isn't the most important person in the audience you? Study, practice, and be creative. Make the best of what you have and be thankful for what you're provided. That's what professionals do? Been  fortunate enough to make a living at this for 45+ years and heard numerous discussions of what i got that's better than his blah, blah, blah..lol  Talk less, play more, and look for good advice?  Appreciate the wealth of information shared in these forums .

Was curious if anyone has had much experience with the RFC ART310 or Yamaha's DXR10? Narrowed my choices to these two as a stage monitor for electronic percussion. Really need a more portable solution without sacrificing too much sound. Audiences indoors of 100-150 usually with FOh usually provided by venue.Jazz, alternative, covers mostly. Heard the DXR12 and it isn't all that bad, however i have no way of auditoning the DXR10 or the RFC. Dealers here have no desire to bring 'em in unless i prepay so am kinda' stuck.Would appreciate any thoughts. Anything else in this price point?.

Archived