Powered mixer/speaker question

• Members

Have a few questions regarding the following gear:

Peavey XR8600D powered mixer (600w per side into 4 ohms, 360w into 8 ohms)

JBL MR825 (2 mains - 250w @ 8 ohms)

JBL JRX125 (2 monitors - 250w @ 8 ohms)

Peavey PV15 (1 monitor - 500 watts @ 8 ohms)

Just bought the XR8600D as our "small gig rig" for smaller bars, etc.  We are a rock/blues band and will run three vocal mics and a mic for a small guitar amp through this (we mic the amp mainly to be able to hear it through the monitors).

Wondering:

1. what is the best way to hook up the three monitors to the monitor side?

2. what is the difference between daisy chaining the two mains from one Speakon on the main side of the amp as opposed to a separate cable from each of the two Speakon outputs?

3. If we occasionally want to run a sub (with a separate QSC PLX 1802 amp), how should I run that from the mixer?

Thanks so much for your input!

• Members

You'll need to find a manual and make sure your powered head can go below 4 ohms per side, because three 8 ohm speakers will be less than that.

Assuming you're running one side of your head amp for mains and that there are two speakons per side, then there won't be a difference routing through a speaker versus back to the other speakon.  Unless you're playing a rowdy bar and someone unplugs the cable from the back of your first speaker, then both go out (joking, sort of).  Or unless you don't want to route from your first speaker to your second.

• Members

300 watts/chan at 8 ohms and 500 watts/chan (RMS) at 4 ohms. The advertised numbers on the marketing materials are called program though do not mention how this is measured. That's a good match for the speakers. The amp is not rated for less than 4 ohms minimum load, so 2 x 8 ohm speakers max per channel.

When comparing the PV-15 to the MR series JBL, the power rating of the Peaven needs to be reduced to a similar measurement method... ~250 watts "continuous" or "RMS"... the marketing power rating is 500 watts program which is 2x the "continuous" rating.

• Members

Looking at the manual, it just says 600w at 4 ohms, I didn't see any mention of whether it could go below that, so I'm assuming not.  Sounds like there is no way to run three monitors and two mains?

From an educational standpoint, please explain the flaw in my thinking regarding the three monitors to the monitor side.  The mixer has two amps with two outputs each.  On the monitor side, I thought I'd be able to go from one output to one monitor and from the second output to the second monitor and daisy to the third.  I thought that the amp would see 8 ohms from one output and 4 from the second (6 ohms total?).

Also, if we occasionally want to run a sub (with a separate QSC PLX 1802 amp), how should I run that from the mixer?

Thanks again!

• Members

drenwick wrote:

Looking at the manual, it just says 600w at 4 ohms, I didn't see any mention of whether it could go below that, so I'm assuming not.  Sounds like there is no way to run three monitors and two mains?

From an educational standpoint, please explain the flaw in my thinking regarding the three monitors to the monitor side.  The mixer has two amps with two outputs each.  On the monitor side, I thought I'd be able to go from one output to one monitor and from the second output to the second monitor and daisy to the third.  I thought that the amp would see 8 ohms from one output and 4 from the second (6 ohms total?).

Also, if we occasionally want to run a sub (with a separate QSC PLX 1802 amp), how should I run that from the mixer?

Thanks again!

The important technical power information is hidden well within the technical data.

The amp is rated at 4 ohms minimum load per channel. 3 monitors connected together (in parallel) is 2.66 ohms, well below the minimum rated load.

If you are thibking about adding subs, you would be much better off atthis time to buy a non-powered board (Peavey or whatever) and powered speakers with matching powered subs. It will be much more convenient as well a perform better as a system. If you don't need the subs, don't bring them as powered mains will operate stand alone without the subs.

• Members

If you don't yet have a power amp, I would suggest taking that money, selling your JRX (Probably the Peavey as well) and buying three powered monitors - you can always ask for suggestions if you like the idea. And frankly, as suggested, I would also say that ditching everything and going all powered would be a good option for where you seem to be at.  With the right board, you can add subs and as many monitors as you want (your monitor sends will be limited by what mixer you get).

At the very least, if your current powered board has the monitor send capability to send internally through the amps and externally through a monitor  line level out, then get a powered monitor for your third monitor. That way your mixer can operate within it's 4 ohm minimum.  And if you're adding subs, get powered subs. 

As you can see, once you transition from a couple of speakers on sticks to mains, monitors and subs, it's much easier for most folks to have an unpowered mixer with powered speakers. Preferably speakers in the same line so crossover and dsp is compatible. 

Archived