When We Break Up - Help, Need Lyric Input [new mix post #41!!]

mbfrancis

• Members

Short answer is because it's pretty and I like it. :) Also because it's fun singing with other people - I get sick of my voice. Like I say above, I saw this as a super intimate, raw duet-kind of thing. I will probably leave her off the first verse. I'm going to mess with placement of the vocals maybe have me switch to harmony. We'll see - I'm not wedded to any of it, just happy to finish it (whether I tweak the bridge lyric or not, this is a finished version, I'm proud of it.).

I realized that I had expected this to be sung from the female perspective. When I listened the first time I was thrown off by that. I listened again, without any expectations, and you're right. It works.

It's a damn good song! Well-written, conceptualized, with a great backing track.

• Moderators
...although I *always* appreciate input...definitely don't think this is 100% nailed.
Let me clarify here. I never mean that "nailed it" says, "don't change a thing!!!!". Of course it can be improved. But I think as a critic and co-conspirator it's important to remember how hard it is to hit things so right occasionally. When someone does, it's important to let them know that. You did, so I said so! It is a fan-freaking-tastaic demo. Every time I do a track I have delusions of grandeur of its master quality. The fact is each and every track I work up is an important step towards that master quality I dream of. Can things be better in your track? Of course! But more importantly at this stage it's important to know what you've done exactly right. And the answer is, at least for me, everything. You've done everything right in this stage of the game. You've captured the essence of that spark perfectly. Give yourself a couple days or months and revisit it. Make it better. No doubt. But sometimes worse, too. Hence, it's important to know what we've done right. Input works both ways. When it's good, we got to say so, and why. That's not a stroke, that's information we can use.

• Members
Let me clarify here. I never mean that "nailed it" says, "don't change a thing!!!!". Of course it can be improved. But I think as a critic and co-conspirator it's important to remember how hard it is to hit things so right occasionally. When someone does, it's important to let them know that. You did, so I said so! It is a fan-freaking-tastaic demo. Every time I do a track I have delusions of grandeur of its master quality. The fact is each and every track I work up is an important step towards that master quality I dream of. Can things be better in your track? Of course! But more importantly at this stage it's important to know what you've done exactly right. And the answer is, at least for me, everything. You've done everything right in this stage of the game. You've captured the essence of that spark perfectly. Give yourself a couple days or months and revisit it. Make it better. No doubt. But sometimes worse, too. Hence, it's important to know what we've done right. Input works both ways. When it's good, we got to say so, and why. That's not a stroke, that's information we can use.

Thanks, Lee, appreciated - I think this is incredibly mature and wise (not your opinion of my track, the other thing!). I need to learn to be more judicious and restrained in my commentary. Just because I have an opinion on something, doesn't mean sharing it is useful at the time. Grateful to be a co-conspirator!

Interesting that you point out that the melody follows the bassline of the guitar part. So that's a damn guitar part! :-)

Here's the guitar solo'd for reference. Don't knock the playing, it was all one take! - still need to edit a little. But you can hear the bass movement.

• Members

OK, I re-tracked the vocal, cleaned up the guitar part, added back a few parts from the original demo, and Bob's Yer Uncle. Well, it took like 10 hours, but there you go. This is about as close to a final mix as I can get tonight, let me know how it sounds. Tweaks tomorrow.

When We Break Up (final2)

I was playing with a duet version where she sings the opening of v2 and I go to harmony, and it sounds really great, but she'll need to re-track the part to nail it. This is the incumbent, though. Thanks guys for all your support. I think this is almost...finished?

• Moderators
Hey Martin - listening over my first cup of coffee. Sounds great, but I think the drums can be dialed back a tad. I like the addition of the keys in the middle part.
Exactly, sounds great. High hat sounds louder and brighter and revealing of its sample origin. I would turn them down as suggested and either change the kick sample or eq it to bring more of a dead thud than the thwack it is now. Now that you're dialing this in... The drums need to be a bit more subservient here I think. Sounds great...

• Moderators

Oh... And a nitpick to take or leave. Since you do seem to be narrowing in on a final... Why not clean up the noise at the end. It seems to be ambient room sound. I'd find the source of it and find ways to make it less distracting. The first would be to use at the very least a proper fade. But if you go searching through your tracks you might it comes from a dormant track and you can fade it alone way before the end. The tunes too good to leave it...

• Members

No, now is the time to nitpick. Wanted to soften the drums so added parallel distortion and compression - worked on the kick but over emphasized hh and bell. Check. Torn on end, may just fade - kind of like the verite noises, but if everything else is pristine you may be right. Count in is too loud. I think the whole thing may be over-compressed too, was messing around with a MS Mastering setting and left it in.

Please send any more feedback!

• Members

I did a couple of mixes yesterday, and with the drums down it all comes a little unglued. The guitar jumps up and is too exposed (drums kind of kept it in check) and the vocals seem too loud. Turn down the vocals and the guitar dominates in a way it's not supposed to. And because Reason saves all the audio in one file, I haven't really been doing versions (1.5GB per) - so I can't go back.

So, basically you guys suck. :)

• Members
I did a couple of mixes yesterday, and with the drums down it all comes a little unglued. The guitar jumps up and is too exposed (drums kind of kept it in check) and the vocals seem too loud. Turn down the vocals and the guitar dominates in a way it's not supposed to. And because Reason saves all the audio in one file, I haven't really been doing versions (1.5GB per) - so I can't go back.

So, basically you guys suck. :)

Don't have a clue to what your talking about so I guess I'm not part of the "suck" group. :cool12:

You have a one of a kind style with your lyrics and music. Love it.

• Members

Don't have a clue to what your talking about so I guess I'm not part of the "suck" group. :cool12:

You have a one of a kind style with your lyrics and music. Love it.

Yeah, it's kind of like Deathcab for Cutie meets Ben Folds Five in a way.

• Members

OK, new mix hopefully we're close - drums are down, spent some time on the vocal levels (may be too quiet now), added some master EQ, feels good. Please let me know thoughts:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12867476

Edit: What would you guys use as a reference track for this. I tried using Milk Carton Kids and Kings of Convenience but couldn't find a similar vibe. Any ideas? Maybe "We're Going to be Friends"?

• Members

I love this song....very nicely produced.

The only thing I hear.....mix-wise, is a bit of sibilance on the vocals....perhaps some careful de-essing would make you feel better about how they are sitting in the mix.

Love the sound of that guitar. What is it?

What would you guys use as a reference track for this.

I might use this for a reference track on the one I am working on right now. Smile.

• Members
I love this song....very nicely produced.

The only thing I hear.....mix-wise, is a bit of sibilance on the vocals....perhaps some careful de-essing would make you feel better about how they are sitting in the mix.

Love the sound of that guitar. What is it?

I might use this for a reference track on the one I am working on right now. Smile.

Wow, thanks! It's a Larrivee, compressed to hell (you can hear from the noise at the end). I was happy with the overall sibilance but added a master EQ at the end which added some high end. Hmmm...may have to back off - lines like "every sorry sounds less sincere" don't help. :)

Archived