The DAW Divide

• Members

Yep, and those of us that do are about the only ones that have any idea what's going on anymore. Mostly I just watch in stunned silence as everyone tries to figure it out. I used to be more involved in answering questions on forums, but when you're trying to teach someone how to drive a car and their first question is, "Ok, so how do you actually get in the car?" That's too damn much work. Music gets harder to listen to for me all the time. Very brilliant musicians still come along, but the quality of the recordings continue to nose dive; worse now than ten years ago. And I'm talking about major labels, not home recordists.

[bold added]

Beck and I don't always agree on every little thing but I'm feeling him here.

That said, I've actually started answering some of these really basic questions no one else stops to answer -- or, as so often happens, gives a factually incorrect 'explanation' to -- but basically with an eye toward actually trying to impart not just an answer to the question -- but to try to communicate an approach to thinking through and sorting stuff on one's own.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
But with little common language among DAWs

That right there is annoying as hell. I'm pretty proficient in DAWs, but I switch between Live and Digital Performer, and every once in a while I need to figure out how to do something in one program that I know how to do in the other. It's really annoying when I look through the manual and can't find it, then I have to stop and consider how ELSE the same function might be phrased.

• Members

That right there is annoying as hell. I'm pretty proficient in DAWs, but I switch between Live and Digital Performer, and every once in a while I need to figure out how to do something in one program that I know how to do in the other. It's really annoying when I look through the manual and can't find it, then I have to stop and consider how ELSE the same function might be phrased.

The first DAW program I tried out was the old version of Logic back in 98 that was for PC's. Talk about a jack assed GUI. That was a good example of some code writer who didn't know jack about the analog studio he was attempting to mimic in a software environment. I spent two days trying to get tracks recorded. I must have read that manual 10 times and still couldn't get it to work right. I had been into audio and recording for a good 35 years up to that point and thought I must be loosing my edge on being up on the latest stuff. I eventually came to the conclusion after trying other programs that that versions of logic just sucked balls and that's all there was to it.

I hear they turned it into a great program for macs, but I don't run macs so I don't know if the program truly got that much better or the guys who run macs understood the convoluted logic of a completely illogical program called logic.

I eventually gave up and moved to using Cakewalk 7/8 and Cubase VST 32. Both of those programs had similarities but at least they were technical friendly for someone moving from analog to digital. Their GUI, terminology, and manuals were developed by people who knew the analog equivalents which made it easier to make the transition.

I did figure out something unique about them that made it easier to switch between the two. The Menus in Cubase were pretty much a mirror image of Cakewalk. I'm thinking its because they drive on the left side of the road in Europe and have the steering wheel on the right in comparison to Cakewalk which was born in the USA. I did, and still do find Sonar to be the easiest of the two to navigate. Its a cross between an analog studio and Microsoft office in the way menus are laid out. Right clicks do things you'd expect them to and finding things makes more sense to me. If I don't like a menu I can change it.

• Members

The first DAW program I tried out was the old version of Logic back in 98 that was for PC's. Talk about a jack assed GUI. That was a good example of some code writer who didn't know jack about the analog studio he was attempting to mimic in a software environment. I spent two days trying to get tracks recorded. I must have read that manual 10 times and still couldn't get it to work right. I had been into audio and recording for a good 35 years up to that point and thought I must be loosing my edge on being up on the latest stuff. I eventually came to the conclusion after trying other programs that that versions of logic just sucked balls and that's all there was to it.

I went to school for audio in 1997-1999 (and I'm one of those who went nowhere with it), and the first programs I used were ProTools and Studio Vision Pro. I got my first computer in 2001 I think (I never cared about them as a teenager in the 90's, and neither did my parents), and the first program I used on that was a dumbed-down version of Logic called Micrologic AV, intended for video-specific audio, which came with an audio or MIDI interface I bought. I hated that program so much. I could never get anything to work right, or figure out many of the features I wanted (if it had them at all). It ruined Logic for me forever. Even after Logic was bought by Apple and became a popular program, I never once thought of giving it another try. After my failed venture with Micrologic AV, I asked around the internet for something similar to Studio Vision Pro, and was directed to DP. I haven't looked back since.

Archived