Friday [ON A THURSDAY!] Influences Thread! 07-04[03]-14

Lee Knight

• Moderators

I just love the drum groove on this track. It completely drives the singer to bring the performance she does. All I can find out is that it was recorded and produced by Luther Dixon at Bell in New York. Maybe it was the groups drummer, and if it was, he's an awesome badass. But I suspect it was a studio pro. Anyone have any info on this?

Smith, "Baby It's You," a Burt Bacharach song originally recorded by The Shirelles, and later covered by The Beatles. This version outcharted both previous versions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te3592iafMs

• Members
I just love the drum groove on this track. It completely drives the singer to bring the performance she does. All I can find out is that it was recorded and produced by Luther Dixon at Bell in New York. Maybe it was the groups drummer, and if it was, he's an awesome badass. But I suspect it was a studio pro. Anyone have any info on this?

No, I think Luther Dixon (who was Bacharach's co-writer on the song) produced the Shirelles' version in New York.

Smith were from LA. A guy named Robert Evans was their drummer.

This seems to be a lip-synch version from Ed Sullivan.

Here's another track. The drummer kicks ass here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkUJA6NEPYM

He's certainly got the pocket on this one...

• Members

Bruce Woodley. He was a member of The Seekers.

He co-wrote this Simon & Garfunkel song with Paul Simon, though he wasn't given credit for it on the Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme LP.

[video=youtube;3Tth-lt1TvI]

He and Simon also co-wrote this tune.

• Moderators

Man! I am digging that drummer!

No, I think Luther Dixon (who was Bacharach's co-writer on the song) produced the Shirelles' version in New York. Smith were from LA. A guy named Robert Evans was their drummer. This seems to be a lip-synch version from Ed Sullivan.
Here's another track. The drummer kicks ass here too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkUJA6NEPYM He's certainly got the pocket on this one...

• Members

Well, my friends in Trampled Under Foot are calling it quits to perform solo projects. It's a shame... because they are an excellent band. I thought this was an appropriate song to post... Goodbye.

• Members

Broken Bells: Really solid, interesting instrumental work. A little too much going on for my minimalist taste, but that's just me. The lyrics don't rise to the occasion.

Sweater Weather. Put a sock in it.

Paolo Nutini: Not my style, but the guy really rocks. Smart, passionate, thoughtful, and with music that works just right with the songs. He gets terrific musicians working with him. This stuff does not happen by accident. High marks.

Royals: Original. Good. Fun. That's entertainment! High marks.

Coasters: I've always loved those guys. Never heard this one. Reminds me of:

High marks.

Baier: Not my style, but she sure nailed emo, didn't she? High marks.

Tedeschi and Trucks: Oldgit got it. They're both musical monsters in their own rights, but together, they take it to a whole new place. High marks.

John Sebastian: Can do no wrong. High marks.

Can't open the John Cleary tune. I'll have to look him up. Thanks, Lee!

Del

Archived