best multi effects you've used?

mbengs1

• Members

I am looking at the new Boss ME80. I have a similar amp modeling software came with a Roland VS-20. It has a very simple knob based Operating system like traditional pedals. But I wanted a hardware version to gig with... the sound is OK and very tweakable to each player's tastes. The presets sound like Roland marketing stuff but as soon as you tweak a bit, it becomes your sound.

• Members

The ME80 is a significant advancement over the ME70, not so much in sound as in what can be controlled. For me, the ME70 wasn't much more functional than the ME50 (I used all three), but the ME80 is a step up.

In fact, I'm not yet sold on the sound. I need more experience with it.

The advantages (for what I do) are

1. separate modules for EQ and Preamp options - each with its own footswitch. This is a major improvement over the older models.

2. It is possible to sweep the drive of the OD module using the foot pedal. I have not yet gotten that into a gigable configuration, but I think it might be possible.

3. A numerical readout of parameter settings. I find it particularly helpful for reverb.

Disadvantages:

1. I don't care for the way the tuner switch works. You have to hold down a switch and wait a moment. Annoying in the middle of a tune.

2. It's too wide for the briefcase I'd been using. In fact, it looks like it could have been made an inch or maybe two narrower.

• Members

The M9 was the worst piece of S_H_I_T I have ever used. Bad tone. Terrible effects.

Years ago I had an original L6 red Pod 1, then put a chip in it to make it Pod2. I had the floor board, and I got some really good tone out of it with a tube amp.

Archived