Roland RD700NX or Kurzweil Artis

danvb01

• Members

I'm planning to purchase a second hand stage piano and I want to hear your recommendations regarding Roland RD700 NX vs Kurzweil Artis.

Both have similar functionality, 4 sliders for layering (which this is what I look for) and great sounds.

From your perspective which have the best piano sound? for me this is the trigger to make the decision. I'm looking for very good realism... in youtube a have looked a lot of videos and seems that both are very similar... but I have never heard those in real life, that's why I'm looking to your opinion.

Thanks

• Members

The Kurzeil Artis has a fantastic new German piano sound. The rest of the sounds come from the acclaimed PC3 series. It's a great sounding board. Personally, if I was choosing just based on piano sound, I'd take the Artis.

• Members
I recognize from your original post that you would prefer a 2nd hand keyboard but personally I would wait for the Kurzweil Forte' to come out. Its piano blows both of them away. http://kurzweil.com/product/forte/

Not only isn't it available used, it's also $4000. Far above the price of a new Artis or Roland 700/800, to say nothing of a used one! So it's probably well out of budget.

Kawai MP7 might be a good choice, too. Even new, it's priced pretty well. Or if budget is more of an issue, a used MP6 might do the trick.

• Members

I can't speak to the Kurzweil but I have had the RD700 since it came out. I have always been happy with the piano patches compared to other boards I had heard on stage. The key action sold for me. It feels great, and sometimes that can be more important than anything.

Archived