GOS WIP - Stand Your Ground

Oswlek

• Members

I haven't written a song in nearly six months - didn't even have a guitar idea until a few weeks ago - but I've got a few things percolating right now. This is the furthest along (it actually has a verse! The other has literally only two words down so far :rolleyes:)

I'm not sure how much can be offered in its current status, but I'm posting it here in an effort to kickstart the idea and hopefully keep it on the forefront of my consciousness. If you have any suggestions or ideas, feel free to lay them on me.

V1

Yeah, the writing's on the wall

And in the whispers that echo down the hall

They've caught you off guard

But there's no time to play the victim card

Lift

That victim card.....

C

Stand! Stand your ground

You will find a way

To rule the day

Stand! Stand your ground

When the dust clears

You will still be here

Oh stand your ground

Stand your ground

V2

No, you didn't pick this fight

But.....

That's as far as I've gotten. I know the bits in red aren't great, they're fillers to get the idea across until something better comes along. The last "stand your ground" involves a fresh chord coming in and melodic divergence, so it is brought home better than it appears in print. I hope so, at least. :)

Big house project going on so I likely won't get any recording done for several months, but I'll try to get a camera demo up to illustrate the melody.

Areas to improve? Suggestions for the red bits or the missing V2? Pass along any and all thoughts. Thanks

• Members

But as the day fades into the night

The waves always come down hard

There won’t be time to play the victim card

I was thinking of waves as in waves of enemy soldiers but I didn't know how literal you wanted to go. Hope this helps.

• Members
I haven't written a song in nearly six months

That is heartbreaking. I know, took years off from writing songs. What I'm realizing - and have to remind myself everyday - is that if I call myself a songwriter, I have to actually write songs. Consistently. And finish them. It's a muscle. And I suck at it (the consistency). I had a few weeks here where I was finishing a song a week, but have done nothing for three now. Much easier to read about preamps and compressors on Gearslutz or nitpick someone's lyric to death on here than get on the horse, sit down, and write every day.

Maybe we can encourage each other?

Sorry to vent - I'll chime in on the track when I have something thoughtful to say

• Members
I haven't written a song in nearly six months - didn't even have a guitar idea until a few weeks ago - but I've got a few things percolating right now. This is the furthest along (it actually has a verse! The other has literally only two words down so far :rolleyes:)

I'm not sure how much can be offered in its current status, but I'm posting it here in an effort to kickstart the idea and hopefully keep it on the forefront of my consciousness. If you have any suggestions or ideas, feel free to lay them on me.

V1

And in the whispers that echo down the hall

But it's no time to play the victim card

Lift

That victim card.....

C

Stand! Stand your ground

You will find a way

To rule the day

Stand! Stand your ground

When the dust clears

You will still be here

Oh stand your ground

Stand your ground

V2

But.....

That's as far as I've gotten. I know the bits in red aren't great, they're fillers to get the idea across until something better comes along. The last "stand your ground" involves a fresh chord coming in and melodic divergence, so it is brought home better than it appears in print. I hope so, at least. :)

Big house project going on so I likely won't get any recording done for several months, but I'll try to get a camera demo up to illustrate the melody.

Areas to improve? Suggestions for the red bits or the missing V2? Pass along any and all thoughts. Thanks

My input so far is in bold above.

I think this idea has merit and could work out well. I don't mind the bits in red.

• Members

Thanks for the quick feedback, guys.

Martin, in my head I'm imagining a corporate take-over or a mutiny or something to that effect, but I won't mind if it never strays from the generic "under attack" imagery. I wasn't sure I wanted to get full-on military about it, but Ryan's suggestion might be worth looking into. I agree that "whispers" doesn't work in that context.

• Members

A quick brainstorm on the verses - see if any of this is of any use……..

V1

And they need you to take the fall

Although they've caught you off your guard

It's no time to play the victim card

V2

No, you didn't pick these fights

But hold on to your human rights ………(civil rights)?

Give a foot - they'll take a yard

It's no time to play the victim card

• Members

I see this as a big female empowerment ballad, or like some universal ballad they play during sports montages...something in this direction, not sure how this scans:

V1

and it says, "now's the time to stand tall"

this time, the world caught you off guard

Lift

That victim card.....

C

Stand! Stand your ground

don't start to cry

when the bullets fly (no!)

Stand! Stand your ground

and let the dust clear

cuz you'll still be here

Oh stand your ground

Stand your ground

• Members

I was playing around with the ted talk thingee. There's no attempt at matching syllables... just free form thoughts:

In fear of the shadows

Of things behind parked cars

We hear about terrible things

And must always be on guard

There’s a judge in texas

Just like a fender bender

Sent a monster

To do time at a rape crises center

Lift that victim card

Fight back

punch hard

Stand! Stand your ground

find a way

To rule the day

Stand! Stand your ground

When the dust clears

You will still be here

And not live in fear

PS Justin - watch that TED talk.

• Members

You're on the right track, Martin. I didn't have a story in story in mind, but it is definitely an anthemic empowerment tune. With that in mind, any ideas for a V2? :)

Phil, I really like that second line idea, perhaps something like this:

You've been set up to take the fall

Rick, thanks for the ideas. What is TED talk?

• Members
You're on the right track, Martin. I didn't have a story in story in mind, but it is definitely an anthemic empowerment tune. With that in mind, any ideas for a V2? :)

I did but they sucked, it degenerated quickly into cliche. Hard to talk about that kind of conflict in a general way.

• Members

Phil, I really like that second line idea, perhaps something like this:

Yep - you've made it even better.

Now you need some music to test the prosody of the next 2 lines - they don't seem to flow yet.

• Members

Recorded a demo with a mildly updated lyric. If you listen closely, you can hear the construction workers banging away. :)

http://picosong.com/CWq6/

V1

But its no time to play the victim card

Lift

The victim card.....

C

Stand! Stand your ground

You gotta draw the line

Don't be tossed aside

Stand your ground

You'll be standing here

When the dust is clear

Oh stand your ground

Stand your ground

V2

XXXXX

XXXXX

XXXXX

Lift

XXXXXXX

C

Stand! Stand your ground

You gotta draw the line

Don't be tossed aside

Stand your ground

You will still be here

When the dust is clear

Oh stand your ground

Stand your ground

The melody of the second verse is about 90% there, I expect it to fully come together once I have some words to wrap around. I didn't realize I had double used "stand" in the chorus until posting this, so I can fix that if it bothers anyone.

Toss any and all feedback my way. :)

• Members

Just bringing this back up to the next page to avoid confusion:

Recorded a demo with a mildly updated lyric. If you listen closely, you can hear the construction workers banging away. smile.png

http://picosong.com/CWq6/

V1

But its no time to play the victim card

Lift

The victim card.....

C

Stand! Stand your ground

You gotta draw the line

Don't be tossed aside

Stand your ground

You'll be standing here

When the dust is clear

Oh stand your ground

Stand your ground

V2

XXXXX

XXXXX

XXXXX

Lift

XXXXXXX

C

Stand! Stand your ground

You gotta draw the line

Don't be tossed aside

Stand your ground

You will still be here

When the dust is clear

Oh stand your ground

Stand your ground

The melody of the second verse is about 90% there, I expect it to fully come together once I have some words to wrap around. I didn't realize I had double used "stand" in the chorus until posting this, so I can fix that if it bothers anyone.

Toss any and all feedback my way. smile.png

• Members

I would consider really nailing precisely what this song is about, maybe even writing up the backstory briefly in some way. Without grounding it anywhere concrete, it's all very abstract, and *much* less impactful and memorable than it could be. Is it about empowerment, or paranoia, or battle, or victim psychology? I think you need to pick one and give it some flesh: to me it really needs some nouns, some real things (see Rick's awesome take).

Also, I am going to disagree with the consensus - I don't like 'victim card.' Not because it's not a good, compelling line, but it suggests a whole backstory that the song doesn't align to or pay off: has the singee played the victim card before, are they co-dependent, what was the context, etc. Again, nail the backstory and the rest should fall in place.

Not sure this helps.

• Moderators

...not to be contrary, but the reason I do like victim card is that, for me, it does exactly what is being said ^^^ above that it doesn't do. It's the one thing I think that most can relate with. We all pull that one. A life obstacle comes along and... we play the victim. Poor me. The song, for me, says forget that. Take a stand.

For me, there is no mystery, no need for back story on that phrase. It is so universally used as a cop out from life's challenges.

Or not.

• Members

You pretty much nailed how I see it, Lee, especially this line.

A life obstacle comes along and... we play the victim. Poor me. The song, for me, says forget that. Take a stand.

Has anyone listened to the demo yet?

Martin, it's about empowerment. But I don't see how you can empower someone to stand their ground without being under attack in some manner. Not only do I not see battle and empowerment as different terms, I don't think one can exist without the other. You are reading a whole lot more into "victim card" than I intend, which could be clouding things up for you.

As for nouns, I absolutely want to get more color, which is a big reason why V2 isn't crystallizing yet. I love Rick's post, but at this point there isn't much from it I can use. Not that I don't appreciate it, Rick! :)

• Members

I'm happy to be wrong about victim card - I just don't see it as a relate-able term, more like something you would accuse some else of playing. (Like most people think they're above average drivers, most people would never admit to playing the victim card.) To me, using it means you're calling the other person out in some way. Seems I'm alone here, though.

The only reason I propose fleshing out the backstory is not to add it all to the lyric, but rather as a means to the specificity and depth you're looking to add to v2. If the concept remains super general and abstract, you will struggle with specifics, and the whole thing collectively risks feeling generic. But, if you know what it's about (corporate take-over, a battered woman, poor tenants fighting a slumlord, etc.), the nouns suggest themselves.

Hope this makes sense.

• Members

Thus far, the melody feedback on MM has been less than enthusiastic. One guy says the chorus is still searching for a more memorable hook and the other said the lyric and melody isn't cohesive.

• Members

Firstly - I'm good with 'victim card' FWIW.

Secondly - I find it difficult to make any suggestions for V2 because there are multiple options with regard to empowerment, and you haven't told us which yet.

Do you want to keep the song generalised so the listener can interpret the type of empowerment that is relevant to them, or do you want flesh out a particular narrative?

I think you need to decide which way you want to go …...

Archived