Class D amps and power requirements

• Members
How are circuits fused in your country' date=' Kalina2? In North America, the norm is a 15A circuit that is rated to run at 12A continuously. At 110VAC (the low end) that translates to 1320W assuming your equipment has a power factor of 1. If you are moving the same current in a 240VAC country, you only have half as much power available.[/quote']

In Russia, a household electrical network has a capacity of 10 to 15 kW at 220 V. .....

Power depends on the local substation,

You can appeal to the leadership of the substation with a formal request for an additional power, but it costs more ...

Usually restaurant owners pay power from 60 to 150 kW, in our restaurant - 100 kW ...

• Members

"Standard in the USA is 120V at 20 amps. " - really, I did not know that. I thought our codes were the same as yours in that regard! Canada also uses the NEC as its "base". Good to mention the derating does not apply for audio, my work experience here is with server farms where it definitely does. :) (Is audio gear generally power-factor corrected? That used to be a huge headache in server-land but not so much the last 10-12 years)

We are now allowed to run 20A on 14-2 (three conductor, 14 awg copper wire) but there are length restrictions I'd have to look up. Older buildings are mostly 12-2 with 15A breakers, changing the breaker in the panel to 20A is fine there, although I think you technically need a permit and an inspection.

Kalina - I was talking about individual circuits, not the building feed. Around here 100A at 240V is typical for a home, so 24kW, but you can get a lot more if you want it. Older homes were wired up at 60A, so about 15kW. We get our power in two phases (two hots 180 degrees out of phase with a common neutral), which get split in the electrical panel to give 120VAC circuits.

• Members

Write something... Canada's branch circuit limitation for general L&P is 15 amps, this has long ago given way to 20 amps in the States. I expect that it may vary in Canada on an agency to agency basis as well.

Servers are considered a continuous load as the dynamics are limited.

Power factor is already considered within the ampacity of the source (equipment is rated in VA), but non-linear loads may require additional derating (including any shared neutral conductors) for performance purposes.

• Members

Yes, 100 and 125 amp is still common, even in new construction dependingn on size of house and what part of the country.

I believe that the NEC was recently updated to require a minimum of 100 amps per stand alone dwelling unit.

Archived