Can someone explain to me IEM / stereo mix?

• Members

Sick and frign tired of not hearing myself. So, from now on when we play out, I'm lugging this 100lb box, so we can do our own monitor mix. 

My bass player want's to do what he calls a stereo mix? Now the IEM unit has 2 xlr inputs or outputs, I assume one of those would go into aux 1 on the mixer and one on aux 2 on the mixer. Then you could do guitar in one ear and vocals in the other? I know I probably have this all screwed up. 

mixer

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

530abb302dc36.jpg

• Members

Hey Kevin what you are explaining is not stereo. What you are explining is used quite a bit though having the band mix in 1 ear and the vocals in the other ear and panning to have more or less. A stereo mix would have 2 connections to the transmitter have the aux sends linked with items such as the roms and guitars panned to create the stereo mix. Once you get a good stereo IEM mix you will never want mono again.

• Members

Thanks for the quick response. Great, so it's even more complicated than I thought. I have a mackie DL 1608. 

When you say linking do you mean through hardware or the software. Hate not knowing WTF I'm doing. 

• Members

I was and still am really tempted by the DL1608. I went with a Presonus partly because you can stereo link the aux sends and select pre or post channel Eq sends. I hope its only a matter of time before the DL1608 can do this. I really like its tiny footprint.

Once I started giving people stereo aux sends (for IEMs) they really didn't want to go back to mono. Unfortunately I only have the 16.0.2 with four monitor sends (or two stereo) - so I really want more sends and at this stage one of the 16.0.2's big brothers look like being my next mixer.

Cheers

• Members

Know what the problem with all this business is? Sound guys. They don't have the talent to play an instrument, so they have to get involved in sound and make it as complicated as possible. So complicated that idiots like myself have to rely on them. Anyhow, so I'm wondering about the DL1608. The limitation of not being able to link Auxes. Is this a software limitation, or a hardware limitation? I know that the aux sends are in fact TRS. I don't know if that has anything to do with anything. I also don't know if it makes a difference whether you use 1/4 mono > XLR adaptors or if they have to be 1/4 TRS > XLR adaptors.

Like I said, I'm just the guy who plays guitar and sings poorly. I hate this crap.

-----------------------------

I'm 43. I've been in bands since I was 14. Currently in 2 bands. I have my grade 8RCM piano with first class honors, and grade 9 RCM in classical guitar with honors. I also have Theory 2 RCM with first class honors. I started playing piano at age 6, guitar at age 14. Went to college for 3 years to study classical guitar. So to insinuate sound guys can't play, is painting a lot of people with a pretty wide brush.

RCM = Royal Conservatory of Music.

Between using mono to XLR vs TRS to XLR, good luck.

You'd probably be better off hiring someone to do sound, let them do their job which is to help you sound good, but I'm guessing the level of gigs you play wouldn't allow for it.

Good luck, I will refrain from using profanity.

• Members

Well, sorry you guys are all upset. I think people just are waiting to have a reason to be upset. I'm just looking for help. Yeah I was off base with my comment. I don't know all sound guys, I just wish the technology was a bit more user friendly for idiots like me. Yeah I'm an idiot and I'm ignorant when it comes to sound stuff. We don't do our own sound anyways, usually someone else is doing sound. We're always having problems with monitoring, so that's why I bought that rig. I mean I use the mixer for rehearsal and we bought the case so we can do our own monitor mixing. My bass player wants to handle this thing, I was just perplexed by the stereo mix thing.

• Members

FWIW I figured the OP was making a joke, not an attack. :)

Anyways, my suggestion would have been to use the main LR mix for a stereo IEM. OP sounded like the DL1608 was only along as a monitor rig, so that should be doable. And since the house should generally be mono (even mix to all seats) the house mix could be run off a mono aux.

Archived