mic recomendations please

• Members

In my limited experience, hanging choral mics are more effective when there is a strong vocal source (an adult choir, or opera singers) and reinforcement is needed only to help get the sound out in a larger venue. With timid singers who don't know how to project the voice (including but not limited to small children with solos), even close mic'ing may not be enough. Mark C.

• Members

Not totally a joke, you'll see the soloists using wireless handhelds even when there are area mics. These days where nobody knows how to project and everbody's deaf from iPod abuse you'll see (small, somewhat hidden) wireless mics on every performer at a "pro" play.

• Members

mkfs9 wrote:

At a pro performance yes.but this as far away from that you can get.

IME folks expect $2000 results on a $100 budget and you suck if you don't give it to them. My best advice is to run the other way before you get blamed for the resultant CF freak.gif.

• Members

having done a zillion kids concerts myself I concluded it will never be good, more like pass/fail. But success is that each kid gets heard enough by the parents and their video cams & iphones with no feedback. Serious HPF.  Speakers as far in front of the kids as possible. Sometimes some Lav mics on a few of the best kids can augment the performance. hair trigger fingers on faders.

are there no rehearsals where you might try different mic setups? 

I've used audio technica "choir mics" before with mixed results. hung down as close as possible they can work and they are pretty stealthy. also if the group is on a riser it's easier. 

yes, We have even prerecorded tracks with 25% coming off the tracks. 

Archived