How are the T-Rex Tonebug pedals? Especially the reverb and sensewah.

RadioSilence

• Members

I'm putting together a pedal board for keyboards so I'm looking for cheap but decent second hand reverb and envelope filters and these keep popping up on ebay.

Should I take the plunge or keep looking for a cheap Holy Grail and Dr. Q?

Speaking of which, are the nano versions of those pedals any good? I tried the nano Small Stone a while ago and didn't like it at all, but I've just picked up a vintage one and can't get enough of it.

• Members

i hated the tonebugs. had a reverb and phaser, one broke when i opened it up.. absolutely dead.

it looks like a solid pedal from the outside, but the switch is cheap, and pots are mounted to the pcb if i remember correctly.. it basically felt cheap and built for profit margins to me.

i think i posted a thread about them both at some point year or 2 ago. but yeah, i didn't like that the reverb level wasn't particularly high even at 50/50. the phaser was closer to a small stone than most other phasers in the price range, but i think there's a more noticeable volume drop than the USA small stone and.. well.. nothing beats the USA small stone for beautiful slow swirls! :)

those Holy Grail Plus' seem to go pretty cheap. as far as filters, the BYOC / DOD clones seem like a good deal. i've had a clone in the past and it sounds good.. the EHX filters have something about them i don't like.. maybe just too pokey with 'le quack' rather than all 'watery' like a DOD?

• Members

That's what I was worried about; I don't remember ever seeing them on people's boards here.

I'm not really bothered about building my own, I'm not in a hurry so I can wait until a bargain shows up on ebay.

I've had a couple of Dr. Qs before and quite liked them but sold them as I never really used them. I think I might have a use for one playing keyboard though.

I can't wait to show off my board once it's done.

Archived