2 guitars, one bass and a drum machine...

papaschtroumpf

• Members

You dont say what the vocal skills are and whether you want one lead singer or more harmony based songs.

To get things rolling I would start with mid sixties stuff before psychedelia. In that era songs were very performable and not so dependent on studio and effect setups

Corny as it seems early Beatles are quite good because none of them was a virtuoso so the songs are very much a group thing

Listen with an analytical ear to the parts in:

• Members

I have one group that plays gigs with this config. Audiences don't usually care that your drummer doesn't play any fills and can't change beats within the song (if you're just using loops like we do). If you use pre-programmed drum tracks with breaks, etc, that's cool, but if you're make a mistake, you're done! We run a drum machine with a start/stop pedal in front of me.

We do lots of Beatles, as well as lots of 60s, 70s, and 90s music. Any song that doesn't change tempos or grooves in the middle works. I can start and stop, so breaks are fine.

If you want, I'll post some videos of this config so you can see what I'm talking about. I've posted them here before (the videos are a few years old) but I can repost so you don't have to search.

• Members

Now, we have three guitars, but we do our stuff with two guitars or even just me on guitar with the bass and the machine. We used to play a pretty regular gig/event at a cafe that always had 100+ people. They always enjoyed us, and we had a good time. We don't take ourselves seriously, and it's always just about having some fun. Hope these give you some ideas, and let me know if you like them. 

Archived