PRESONUS INSPIRE 1394 (audio interface)

Anderton

• Members

Mine's been working OK with an HP laptop, 4 pin cable. But, I am having all kinds of problems trying to get a second multiple unit to work. Doesn't want to install. I tried the newest driver, but that made the single unit not function. I had to roll back to the previous driver. Single unit is working again. I'm not all that happy with the quality though. Might have to upgrade eventually and sell these 2 units.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Got it apart. For those who may want to know, the 2 pieces of plastic need to slide outward a little ways, until they're free from a metal tab on each side.

Also, forgot to mention, I tried this with bus power and with the AC adapter. With AC, the LED flashes between blue and red, but it's solid red on bus power.

Hi Fluffyllama

Did you do anything or see anything odd when you took it apart?

Did anything look broken or fried?

BTW

Mine's on eBay for one more day at .99

http://cgi.ebay.com/PreSonus-Inspire-1394-Firewire-not-working_W0QQitemZ330402217032QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ced81bc48#ht_500wt_1182

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Got it apart. For those who may want to know, the 2 pieces of plastic need to slide outward a little ways, until they're free from a metal tab on each side.

Thanks man. I googled to see if anyone was trying to pull their unit apart. Your post was useful.

I'm also having trouble with one channel dying (on the front inputs, both mic and instrument). If it's any help to anyone, you can still record stereo into the RCA inputs on the back (as long as you whack some RCA adaptor connections onto your leads of course). But you may be out of luck if you're using phantom powered mics unless you have external phantom power and the correct adaptor lead connections. I'm lucky - for now I just wanna' run my Digitech board direct in (in stereo).

This unit is great, I love it, but having one channel die as soon as the warranty ran out was slightly annoying. It's lucky I just happened to have finished working on the film I was scoring just before the channel died.

To the person who had one channel die and had it repaired - did the Presonus people inform you as to the nature of the fault?

Cheers folks.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

what a pisser, the 2nd channel on my INSPIRE just died on me so i no longer have an interface!!!! i am pissed to say the least, i won't be buying anything from Presonus anymore. what is a decent interface for a mac mini that is reasonable in price?

Have you contacted PreSonus? At this point the product is over five years old, they may have some that returns or ones with cosmetic issues they'd let go for cheap.

As to other interface options, there are so many that it's impossible to give advice without knowing your needs. It makes a big difference if, for example, you're a singer/songwriter or recording a band.

Archived