PRESONUS INSPIRE 1394 (audio interface)

Anderton

• Members

Craig, thanks for being available for questions and tips. After installing the Inspire unit with Cubase LE, Cubase only seems to recognize inputs 1 & 2 from the Inspire. When I try to choose inputs 3 & 4 for a new track, the only options I'm given are inputs 1 & 2. I've searched through the Help index and the pull-down menus for some way to set up the software I/O to recognize inputs 3 & 4, but I can't find anything. The store where I bought the equipment was of no help. I appreciate anything you can tell me! The unit is the Inspire 1394, and the Cubase LE is version 1.0.8 running on Mac OSX 10.3.9......thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the great review Craig!

This has been a great in depth discussion and has been very helpful to me - I am VERY new to computer recording having always used an outboard recorder. This being the case I have had a steep learning curve to get my head around USB vs Firewire etc and may well be buying the Inspire tomorrow for my new set up.

Just on a purely technical matter ... I have noted the one downside is the lack of MIDI - I am primarily an alt rock/experimental musician but I do want to work with soft synths and perhaps midi guitar in future ... I'd like to hear from anybody else who has the Inspire that has set up an additional MIDI interface with the Inspire and what they have done or recommend doing to get this happening.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Thanks for this very helpful thread....I have owned the Inspire for about 2 years now, I am pleased with the interface even though I have had a few issues with it, most of which has been addressed in this thread. I'm not a big fan of it's preamp, kinda noisy at highish levels especially with boost on, I use mine on a PC and used your trick of closing the applet, once set, to reduce noise and it worked, I still get a slight wavery noise. Still most of the time I use my SM pro audio TB202 pre/phanton/compressor/EQ going into the inspire and the SM's tube pre is quiet and much warmer sounding. And I have just ordered a Art tube pre for to use with the Inspire RCA ins mainly as a Ribbon mic pre, Ive read good reviews on it as a Ribbon pre, My SM and Ribbon are fine, but with the Art also that should make 4 inputs at once, I hope......

Mike

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Any comments so far or questions you want addressed? The next sections will involve installation and the applet controls.

Hi, I've been using the PreSonus 1394 to record my amateur radio show for about a year now. The box works great and I'm used to the interface and the inputs and outputs.

My one biggest outstanding problem is that I can only use 1 mic input! Sometimes, I've thought about having guests on the show, which I thought would be a snap if I got a second mic for the second input. However, I cannot figure out how to get both mics to feed into my PC. I can get the mic sound out of the headphones but not through to my encoder.

Any help, tips, or suggestions would be tremendously appreciated.

Oh, I use a Dell Inspiron laptop with the generic interal sound card, if that makes a difference. But so far, I've been able to get the encoder to record whatever comes in through the mic input on the laptop so I suspect the problem is that the Inspire 1394 is simply not feeding the second mic out through the outputs.

Help!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I read a review that said there's a hum if you use it with an ac adapter on a laptop.

I've only got a laptop with firewire pcmcia card, so I'm wondering if this is going to be an issue if I use the ac adapter.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Hi -
I just received and started using a Presonus Inspire (scratch & dent sale for $165!!!) with my Apple Powerbook G3 Firewire (Pismo - upgraded to a 550 MHz G4) and a Yamaha mono powered mixer.

Everything seems to work perfectly - dead quiet inputs, fast and latency free even with my old powerbook if I keep the ins and outs simple. For instance, a single bass OR mic plugged in and recording a single track to Garage Band. Headphones plugged in for monitoring.
That's flawless and transparent sounding.

But it doesn't really serve my needs. I'd LIKE to record rehearsals with my 3 (sometimes 4) piece blues band. That means: voice on dynamic mic, acoustic guitar with high-output pup, my passive bass, and maybe a telecaster. We can use a mono Yamaha powered mixer for everything but the bass. Preferred would be voice and acoustic through the mixer, bass and tele through separate dedicated amps.

Can someone suggest a clean-sounding way to record this using the Presonus Inspire?
If it can be done, that would make this piece of hardware one of the most elegant, useful devices to come along!

Thanks in advance,

Bill Oetjen
billoetjen@fastermac.net

• Members

You can record four simultaneous inputs with the Inspire (2 line, and 2 mic/instrument).

Like the other guy said, if you need more than four inputs, you can always daisy chain another Inspire to get four more inputs.

But in the meantime, you can always use your mixer to submix a few instruments and plug the output of the mono mixer into one of the line inputs (3 or 4). That would give you three more inputs left. Try to separate the most important instruments (like vocal or lead guitar). That will give you more flexibility when you are mixing down.

If you have a couple of extra DI's hanging around, you can use them to split the signal of your bass and electric guitars (send them simultaneously to the Inspire as well as the amps)

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Craig, thanks for being available for questions and tips. After installing the Inspire unit with Cubase LE, Cubase only seems to recognize inputs 1 & 2 from the Inspire. When I try to choose inputs 3 & 4 for a new track, the only options I'm given are inputs 1 & 2. I've searched through the Help index and the pull-down menus for some way to set up the software I/O to recognize inputs 3 & 4, but I can't find anything. The store where I bought the equipment was of no help. I appreciate anything you can tell me! The unit is the Inspire 1394, and the Cubase LE is version 1.0.8 running on Mac OSX 10.3.9......thanks again!

I had the same problem for a while. After playing around for a bit I managed to locate the other tracks.

Try looking in Devices > VST Inputs in the cubase menu. Scroll down and you should see channels 3 & 4. Click on the Active button so that it turns blue.

Hopefully this should solve your problem.

[Edit] Although my version is windows, so may be different [/Edit]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello, and thanks for the thorough review.

I picked up an Inspire from MF, refurb for $130. :cool:

I notice a few issues, however:

1. The Cubase LE CD will not install on my Macbook (a new Intel-based unit). In fact, the CD can't even be read by the computer. Inserting the CD essentially crashes my computer, requiring a hard reboot every time. The CD itself must not be defective as it installs on my ancient Emac. My Macbook's drive isn't defective either, as the other software was installed with no problem. Presonus emailed me a software fix, but this did not help.

2. The mic preamps barely have enough gain when using a dynamic mic. I need to crank the preamp and engage the boost to get a reasonable level.

3. The headphone amp seems too weak to record anything loud with (such as a guitar amp loud enough to overcome issue 2).

4. There is a ton of noise when plugging a guitar into the high impedance inputs, and running through Garageband (since I can't get Cubase running due to above installation issues).

Despite all of this I am able to record music, and perhaps Presonus will provide me an installable version of Cubase. Still, I'm not totally committed to keeping the unit, and may ultimately go for a different interface (Mackie Satellite, save up for a Firebox, etc.).

Perhaps this particular unit was a lemon, having been refurbed.

Suggestions?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

1. The Cubase LE CD will not install on my Macbook (a new Intel-based unit). In fact, the CD can't even be read by the computer. Inserting the CD essentially crashes my computer, requiring a hard reboot every time. The CD itself must not be defective as it installs on my ancient Emac. My Macbook's drive isn't defective either, as the other software was installed with no problem. Presonus emailed me a software fix, but this did not help.

Suggestions?

Regarding the noise ;it's an issue that may be fixable but if you can you may want to return it.

I would just suggest trying logic express or even sticking with GarageBand.

I really hated Cubase. Once you try Logic, I'll bet you'll love it.

• Members

Thanks for the reply. I did in fact return it. I am now running into a Soundcraft mixer and straight into the 1/8" jack on the soundcard. Interfaceless. The sound actually isn't bad.

I just couldn't commit to an interface for the MacBook. It seems the all have issues, in this price range, anyway.

I love Garageband. I will probably upgrade to Logic, and pick up an Apogee or something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi

I'm a budding musician, and me and my mates jam once a week (I write the songs and do the recording as well). Had my eye on the Inspire. Can I actually record 4 of us at the same time then? Or is it only 2 at any time plugged in to the front? And is there anything that can do it for the money? Everything else can only do 2.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Hi !! I have been closely following ur posts and hey, it saved me of the trouble of running from pillar to post to find out the right interface for myself. Yes, I have somewhat zeroed in on the Inspire 1394. But still need to clear certain doubts about the set up I have in mind. I have a Yamaha PSR 550 keyboard and the M-Audio Midisport Uno as the Midi-usb interface. My primary objective is to achieve near-zero latency in the reproduction of MIDI triggered sounds. Can I go for the Inspire ? or do u recommend something else for that ? Is it important to have the MIDI data routed through a common audio/midi interface (e.g. Firebox) in order to minimize latency? Then definitely I cannot go for the Inspire. Are the mic pres on the Inspire as good as those of the firebox ? I know, too many qstns and very basic they are. but pls take time out to clear my doubts ! :p

• Members

Unfortunately I returned the Inspire a long time ago so can't do any direct comparisons. However, I can tell you that it is not necessary to have audio and MIDI in the same interface, assuming you have enough ports to handle two interfaces.

Also, latency isn't much of an issue if you're using a hardware keyboard; latency comes into play when using virtual soft synths, as they're "inside" the computer and have to deal with processing delays.

Hope this helps!

• Members

thanks 4 your reply. I meant to use my yamaha keybaord just as a midi controller, to trigger the notes in a soft synth only. do u think inspire is ok for this purpose ? or do i hv to go for the firebox or something similar ?

thanks

• Members

The latency doesn't involve the MIDI feeding the soft synth as much as the audio from the soft synth reaching your interface. This depends on the drivers for the interface to some extent (you want to use ASIO, Core Audio, or kernel streaming WDM for fastest response), but mostly it's a question of your processor speed. There's no way you'll get low latency with a slow computer. Also, the more complex the project, the less likely you'll have low latency because the computer is having to spend time doing "housekeeping" with hard disk tracks, soft synths, effects, etc. Many musicians freeze or disable tracks when recording in order to lower the latency, then unfreeze during mixdown and raise the latency as it's not as problematic when mixing.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I read a review that said there's a hum if you use it with an ac adapter on a laptop.

I've only got a laptop with firewire pcmcia card, so I'm wondering if this is going to be an issue if I use the ac adapter.

Thanks!

Anyone got an opinion on this? I'd be in the same boat, so I need to know before I consider buying.

What does the hum come from? Is it with the unbalanced RCA outputs?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I just picked up a new Inspire for $120. It will fill my needs for the immediate future. I didn't see a lot out there at this price point that would have been any better for my needs. I guess they are now discontinued, so probably will be harder to find.

• Members

Mine died
The computer would see it for a second and then it wouldn't,
Tried lots of cables and a few different computers with the same results.

I Called Presonus and they seemed to be familiar with the problem. I forgot what he said they'd fix it for but it's time to upgrade anyway so it would be a waste to invest anything in it.
I left it plugged in all the time so the red light was always on even with the computer off. It may be best to unplug when not in use:wave:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Mine died

The computer would see it for a second and then it wouldn't,

Tried lots of cables and a few different computers with the same results.

I Called Presonus and they seemed to be familiar with the problem. I forgot what he said they'd fix it for but it's time to upgrade anyway so it would be a waste to invest anything in it.

I left it plugged in all the time so the red light was always on even with the computer off. It may be best to unplug when not in use:wave:

Same problem with me. I tried a Windows XP and a Windows 7 laptop, my Macbook Pro, and my PowerMac G4, and none will recognize it. The LED is blue when it's first plugged in, for about 3-4 seconds, then it goes red. For what it's worth, I left it plugged into my Macbook Pro all the time, and I usually put the MBP to sleep, which kept power running to the Inspire.

Sadly I only bought it 2 months ago, used. Worked well enough when it did too.

Can anyone offer pointers on how to disassemble the unit? I've removed the 6 screws, but the plastic is held in rather well, and I don't want to crack any of it...

*edit*

Got it apart. For those who may want to know, the 2 pieces of plastic need to slide outward a little ways, until they're free from a metal tab on each side.

Also, forgot to mention, I tried this with bus power and with the AC adapter. With AC, the LED flashes between blue and red, but it's solid red on bus power.

Archived