E-MU EMULATOR X2 (software sampler)

Anderton

• Members

I understand that if I can plan the edit, I would first make a copy of "preset 1" and rename the copy "preset 1a" and then edit the copy. But most of the time, I lack that foresight and just twist those knobs.

Thats the only way I know of really. If you have already saved the bank before tweaking then you could import the pre-tweaked preset. I think you may also be able to export the tweaked preset, undo all changes so you are back with the original, and then import it so you have both versions. A bit long winded but it should work.:D

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the reply Overdrive1,

I did export the edited preset and then imported it back in the original bank but, as you said, this not really convenient or quick. Hopefully there's another way or there will be soon (maybe with the Emulator X2 Platinum).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Here is one out of left field.... I have started working with synth swipe a lot over the last week and am very happy with it. My problem is that it records at 32 bits. When I try importing my "swiped" instruments into Ableton Live's "Sampler" the samples play back at the wrong speed and pitch! So the question is this....

Q: Is there any way I can use Synth Swipe in a 24/96k sampling mode?

• Members

Seems that the internal sampling rate is actualy 24bit and the problem was actualy with the translator software I was trying to use. There seems to be big issues with Extreme sample converter. That or I am just not understanding it.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

does anyone know if it's possible to use X2 as a vst while using another driver/audio card? i've got the original Emu X package, but i'm thinking of using a different card for more i/o, can't get the Emu breakout box anymore...

• Members

if you have X2 AND some other piece of EMU hardware (i.e. one of their MIDI interfaces) I believe you can use that and that X2 will then use that as its 'dongle'. this includes the EMU controller boards, if I am not mistaken.

You may want to confirm that with EMU, however. I am in the same position you are - I dont want to loose X2.

Synthswipe is the greatest thing EVER.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'd heard some disturbing rumors (and yes, only rumors) that the parent company for Creative and E-mu were planning to ax everything they owned that wasn't Creative due to bad economic times. That means everything from E-mu would no longer have any support. The fact that EX2 Platinum, which was supposed to be released in May from what I recall, is not out yet, seems to support this idea.

Is there anyone who can confirm or deny this? I have an Emu 1212M and would love to own EX2.

• Members

Heh, I was half-expecting at least a quick message from Craig along the lines of "please don't spread rumors." Again, that's not my intention. It's just that an official denial from someone in the company would make me feel a little better about my impending decision.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

hello all; new purchaser of emulator x2! the sounds are blowing me away? i've already had to get an upgrade of ram for my CPU, but it's worth it! i'm having difficulty getting sonar 4 to recognize it as a vst insert (or recognize it anywhere!). i use reason as well, and sonar had no problem with it. i'm also able to hear midi triggered through my keyboard controller, and when recording i can hear the ex2 sounds getting triggered; on playback however, i only hear the midi data that was playing through my kybd controller, even though the local control on the keyboard was turned off.

i'd like to use ex2 on my next project, but i'm having a heck of time figuring out how to get sonar to recognize emulator. what's the problem?

thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Where is E-MU EMULATOR X3 info????

Manual available yet?

EMU dumped us again eh?

1) No info on assigning individual Voices to physical outputs.

EmulatorX needs "Submix" parameter (the same as the E4 hardware), in the "Amplifier Controls" section of Voice Processing This should provide a link to ALL the physical outputs on the selected audio card in the "Preferences". For example, the 1820M has : 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R, 3L, 3R, 4L, 4R (Monitor out) physical outputs. Each of these should be available for selection for ANY VOICE as an output.

Another example - 8 voice preset with 8 drum hits, one on each voice (to use different filters for each hit), each voice has submix physical output assignment, outputs of audio card goes in to analog console for mixing.

2) No OS X Version

3) No PCIe/ExpressCard/34 Audio Interfaces.

4) No RTAS/OSX Plug

• Members

They dont make software for Mac. Thats just how they want to be.

Also, the new software is no longer tied to having a piece of EMU hardware installed. So, if you need a better card you arent stuck. This makes me *very* happy, as I am tired of loosing a PCI slot to what has essentially become a dongle.

About the other issues, I havnt had a problem. I just open another instance and use my DAW to route the audio.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Well I know what I'm doing with the E-mu filters and cords section, I have been using them for nearly 10 years, even if I don't always explain myself very well.
:D

Now if anyone from E-mu actually knows for a fact why you cannot control the filter resonance parameter cord destination otherwise known as gain/expression/q/peak on the morphing filters in realtime please respond.

Tbh I have nothing else to say on the matter unless someone can give a factual based answer.

PS:- For anyone thats interested here is a comparison between the 4 Pole High Pass Filter on the E4XT Ultra and Emulator X2, there is quite a big difference.

Download comparison here.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0x0uts

Great thread, any chance you could re-up that file Overdrive? I own a e6400 classic and love the filters, the high pass especially is very present and full of character, I understand Emu wanting to implement smoother more natural filters for general use but they should keep the original ones in as an option - that's easily my biggest request.

Question for Ichi. As so many people would like to see the original filter types included and you have the original code, would it not be possible to port the code over and have these filters as an option i.e. Emulator E6400 series LP, HP, BP etc, would it really be that hard?

• Members

Question for Ichi. As so many people would like to see the original filter types included and you have the original code, would it not be possible to port the code over and have these filters as an option i.e. Emulator E6400 series LP, HP, BP etc, would it really be that hard?

FYI - Ichi no longer works for E-Mu, he is now at Universal Audio (and yes, they consider themselves very lucky to have him on board).

• Members

Where is E-MU EMULATOR X3 info????

Manual available yet?

EMU dumped us again eh?

1) No info on assigning individual Voices to physical outputs.

EmulatorX needs "Submix" parameter (the same as the E4 hardware), in the "Amplifier Controls" section of Voice Processing This should provide a link to ALL the physical outputs on the selected audio card in the "Preferences". For example, the 1820M has : 1L, 1R, 2L, 2R, 3L, 3R, 4L, 4R (Monitor out) physical outputs. Each of these should be available for selection for ANY VOICE as an output.

Another example - 8 voice preset with 8 drum hits, one on each voice (to use different filters for each hit), each voice has submix physical output assignment, outputs of audio card goes in to analog console for mixing.

2) No OS X Version

3) No PCIe/ExpressCard/34 Audio Interfaces.

4) No RTAS/OSX Plug

My faith in EMU is less than zero. Creative Labs have been in financial trouble for a long time. First EMU promised the X2 Platinum, then nothing, then they presented the X3 (for a ridiculous price of 699), now nothing for a year. With Ichi leaving, there can't be many left. I have bought the X, the X2 and the Proteus X. Now they give away the Proteus for free, this free version also works for Vista, something they did never do for the paid version. Where is the dual/quad core support?

When was the last time EMU had some new stuff? I haven't seen any new hardware for years. Not even their keyboard controllers have been updated. Too bad, I really liked their products (too bad they don't always work correctly).

:confused:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

I just read through this thread and am pretty disappointed with where things ended up for Emulator X(2 and 3). I originally got Emulator X bundled with a 1212m sound card for $150 in 2006. I didn't get too deep into Emulator but did use it as a rompler. Recently I upgraded to X2 for $25. I'm getting more into the program and have really liked a lot of the capabilities and sounds. Since I'm still using the computer I bought back in 2006, I'm starting to feel a need for something more powerful. I started researching the software I already own to see how they work in Win7 and 64bits.

Surprise, surprise! Emulator X2 won't work in Win7 at all. The upgrade to X3 seems to be all but unavailable now and it was for the shocking price of $300 despite the reasonable statement from Ichi

If it's the latter the changes are more subtle but nonetheless substantial

The highlights of X2.1

-Xplode (beat slicer with MIDI and tempo map export)

-Xtractor (dsp tool that allows you to isolate, edit or remove things in a mix)

-X64/Vista support

-Native 64-bit version of standalone and VSTi

-Multi-Core, Multi-Thread optimized (substantial peformance gains)

-Library has been optimized (substantial speed increase)

-Streaming engine optimizations

We can't say specifically how we will price future upgrades but we will always try to make it as affordable as possible. If what we've done up to now is any indicator, incremental upgrades have been free, major new features have been 79 bucks. We think this is pretty reasonable.

Best,

ICHi

E-MU Systems

So it sounds like X2.1 eventually became X3 and the more palatable upgrade price of $79 was upped to $300. After checking around on the production forums, it sounds like Emulator X3 is either dead or very close to it. Maybe you can still find it around and at very cheap "blowing out old stock" prices but I haven't been lucky so far. You can get Komplete 7 for $500 or maybe Komplete 6 for $300. Still, I'd really miss Emulator's filters......

Maybe I'm totally wrong about all this, I really hope so.....

Dan

Archived