Mackie Onyx Satellite FireWire Audio Interface

Anderton

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This thing is garbage. I've never seen such a buggy piece of hardware in Windows 7.

Do you have the latest drivers and firmware? You can get them here. They claim the driers work with 32 and 64 bit versions of 7 (and Vista), but I assume you must use the updated firmware.

• Members
Do you have the latest drivers and firmware? You can get them
here
. They claim the driers work with 32 and 64 bit versions of 7 (and Vista), but I assume you must use the updated firmware.

Yeah... I've been going at it with this thing for two days now. I've tried using legacy firewire drivers, updated everything for the satellite, etc.

The problem plaguing the Onyx series is keeping a connection through firewire. You plug the device in and it drops the connection within a few seconds or minutes. It seems to be affecting a lot of their mixers as well. Typical Mackie support for any kind of driver issue :lol:

• Members
The problem plaguing the Onyx series is keeping a connection through firewire. You plug the device in and it drops the connection within a few seconds or minutes. It seems to be affecting a lot of their mixers as well. Typical Mackie support for any kind of driver issue
:lol:

Sorry to hear that...I almost feel guilty that my Satellite just keeps on tickin.' Once I got the processor-related whine issue figured out, it's been perfect with a Mac dual G5.

However - before you give up - try this. I do a lot of reviews and beta tests of interfaces, and one thing I've found with Windows computers (I use both PC and Mac) that has kept me from going insane is NOT to use the ports on the motherboard. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, sometimes they're just plain ornery.

After a particularly frustrating go-round with a FireWire interface, I went out and bought a $30 PCI FireWire card. End of problems!!! Flushed with success, I then went out and got a USB 2.0 card too, and that ended some audio problems I'd had with a different interface that was related to hard drive activity.

Bottom line: I use the cards for audio-related functions and everything has been working great. I use the mobo ports for external drives, dongles, mouse/keyboard, and similar stuff.

But, one other caution...don't get a combination USB/FireWire card. I haven't tried it myself, but only because I've seen so many posts about people having problems with combo cards and audio.

I feel for ya, I know how frustrating it is when something is SUPPOSED to work and doesn't. Overall I've had good luck with Mackie drivers. But I've had better luck with everything since saying good-bye to mobo ports.

If you try this, please report back and let us know if it helped or not. Good luck!

• Members

I actually am using a card but it is a USB/Firewire combo.

I'll snag a firewire card and see if that helps. I've read that the Texas Instrument cards often work better than the VIA and others.

Just to be sure my firmware was up to date I just ran the update on my macbook... Satellite connected perfectly the first time :p

I'll report back once I install the card.

• Members

As to the OS issue, they do make changes as to how they handle peripherals. Remember USB on Windows 98? :eek: Apple has refined the FireWire drivers with different versions of their OS.

But dig this...I'm reviewing the PreSonus FireStudio Mobile for EQ magazine. Under "Known Incompatible Hardware," they say the following:

USB/Firewire and s400/s800 Combo Cards. Symptoms usually include no audio recording/playback, even though the device will install and sync, and erratic audio performance. Rarely, combo cards will prevent the device from installing or achieving a stable sync. We recommend FireWire cards that have S400 FireWire connections only.

Sounds like they might be talking to you, too...

• Members

And here's something else from the Focusrite site: http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1030#Saffires

It talks about the need to downgrade Windows 7 to the "legacy FireWire drivers" in order for some of their products to work. So I guess there are FireWire issues with Windows 7.

Maybe you need to do this too?

I sure am finding out a lot because of your issues... :) Knowledge is power, I guess!

• Members

It talks about the need to downgrade Windows 7 to the "legacy FireWire drivers" in order for some of their products to work. So I guess there are FireWire issues with Windows 7.

Maybe you need to do this too?

Yes I've done this. This is actually an issue with Windows 7 and a lot of firewire devices. If you ever run across someone with a firewire video camera that won't connect this is likely the fix for that as well. Sadly, this doesn't fix the problem for most Satellite users.

The card is on the way.

I'm looking forward to your review of the Firestudio Mobile... if I can't get this thing running I think it's big brother the Firestudio Project will be my next purchase.

• Members

Another little oddity... the automatic disconnect plaguing my unit seems to be related to PC activity.

For example, If I plug in the satellite and do not touch anything it will remain connected to the PC. The second I do anything (something as simple as changing web pages) it loses the connection. Very peculiar.

Edit:

I keep Win XP installed on my secondary drive just in case my main drive can't boot for whatever reason. I booted XP and plugged in the interface... it connected flawlessly :cry:

• Members

I'm looking forward to your review of the Firestudio Mobile... if I can't get this thing running I think it's big brother the Firestudio Project will be my next purchase.

Well not to give it all away, but...honestly, I thought "okay, another interface, yawn." I've been using the Firebox with my laptop since the dawn of time for live performance, because it a) always worked, b) never caused me any grief, c) had MIDI, so I could run control surfaces, and c) is small.

But, the Mobile really impressed me. First, it has six line in phone jacks if you need more I/O. Second, you can cascade it with othe FireStudio boxes if you need more inputs. Third, I was really impressed by the jacks being mounted to the chassis and not just the circuit board - that's the kind of thing that adds up long-term.

Their software applet is nice, too. The big dings are a) phantom power works on both inputs at a time and not individually, b) the MIDI and S/PDIF I/O are on a breakout cable so you better not lose it, and c) there's no trim on the six line ins. BTW it does do 96kHz if that matters.

Overall, I was pretty impressed. But then again, I've been impressed with the Satellite, it's worked great for me over the years...but I'm not running Windows 7, either.

• Members

Just received the Texas Instruments PCI card. This is only a firewire card, not a combo. It does NOT fix the issue. The Onyx still can not establish a stable connection to the computer under Windows 7. Any pc activity whatsoever will disconnect the unit.

I've been playing music a long time and dealt with a lot of companies... I've never been completely ignored like I have from Mackie. After multiple detailed emails stating my issue and an exhaustive forum post with 14 replies from MYSELF without them so much as saying "I don't know" I'm giving up on this thing. It's absolutely ridiculous for a company today to just turn a blind eye to crippling problems with their drivers. Perhaps it is Windows 7 fault... if they had simply told me they didn't know how to fix it I'd have no problem with that.

On the bright side I guess I get to go interface shopping now.

• Members

Well after getting seriously pissed and letting mackie know about it they finally replied and offered a real solution.

"Hey there! I'm a little late checking the forums, but here I am. Let's start with this link and see what you get - http://www.vista4beginners.com/DPC-Latency-Checker

After you get some numbers, try turning Aero off.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/01/13/how-to-turn-on-and-enable-aero-in-windows-7-enable-aero-peek/"

That fixed it. After all this I can't wait to ditch the Mackie.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have the opportunity to purchase a used Mackie Onyx Sattelite. It's specs meet my needs but I'm wondering if I should get something newer now that it's discontinued. Any thoughts?

Also, if I were to buy it. How much do you think it would be worth?

Bloome

• Members

I have the opportunity to purchase a used Mackie Onyx Sattelite. It's specs meet my needs but I'm wondering if I should get something newer now that it's discontinued. Any thoughts?

Also, if I were to buy it. How much do you think it would be worth?

Bloome

The real question is..."What is your application?" Only then is it possible to know if the Satellite is worthwhile for you.

• Members

Hello. This is great long-term review and help index regarding the Satellite. I am considering a used Satellite. I'm totally green to this kind of equipment. Have looked at the new Mackie Blackjack too. After reading a lot of info I've determined I don't need a large number of I/O ports, just want the good mic pres. In 4 years has anyone developed a firewire IF that has as good a set of mic pres as the Mackie? I know the Blackjack is USB and it says it works with USB 1.1, which is what I need with my older G4 Mac. You can find the Blackjack for $199. Basically, I'm trying to do this at as low a cost as I can, and get the good mic pres & decent, simple output.
Cheers!

• Members

Well not to give it all away, but...honestly, I thought "okay, another interface, yawn." I've been using the Firebox with my laptop since the dawn of time for live performance, because it a) always worked, b) never caused me any grief, c) had MIDI, so I could run control surfaces, and c) is small.

But, the Mobile really impressed me. First, it has six line in phone jacks if you need more I/O. Second, you can cascade it with othe FireStudio boxes if you need more inputs. Third, I was really impressed by the jacks being mounted to the chassis and not just the circuit board - that's the kind of thing that adds up long-term.

Overall, I was pretty impressed. But then again, I've been impressed with the Satellite, it's worked great for me over the years...but I'm not running Windows 7, either.

Curious as to whether you'd prefer the Firebox, Firestudio, or the Satellite - for the mic pre quality? Thanks.

• Members
Curious as to whether you'd prefer the Firebox, Firestudio, or the Satellite - for the mic pre quality? Thanks.

With the standard caveat that this is all very subjective...

Personally, I like the Mackie pres. Some people consider them "brittle" but I like clarity, which is how they strike me (I'm also the kind of guy who likes taking guitars direct through very high-impedance inputs.) I think you wouldn't hear much difference between the Blackjack and Satellite pres.

The older Firebox pres are okay, but I've been very impressed by the FireStudio Mobile "XAX" preamps (I haven't checked out the standard FireStudio). They have lots of headroom and the kind of clarity I associate with the Mackie. I also like the Focusrite Saffire mic pres, again because they have a very clean sound.

Another consideration is USB vs. FireWire. FireWire delivers more throughput, but that's not going to matter in a situation that doesn't involve lots of inputs or high sample rates (i.e., above 48kHz). I also feel FireWire is more finicky about chip sets and such, and also, on the wane compared to USB.

The main deal about the Satellite is the ability to have a desktop interface with patch points, and a "take away" pod you can use for mobile recording. If this is what you need, then go for it. Otherwise, the Blackjack will probably handle your needs.

But - another consideration is MIDI. Neither Mackie interface has MIDI I/O. The FireStudio Mobile does, but it's on a breakout cable; the Focusrite interfaces have physical 5-pin DIN MIDI connectors built in.

Hope this helps :)

• Members

But - another consideration is MIDI. Neither Mackie interface has MIDI I/O. The FireStudio Mobile does, but it's on a breakout cable; the Focusrite interfaces have physical 5-pin DIN MIDI connectors built in.

Don't mean to throw my own hat in the ring, but the Phonic Firefly 302 USB also has MIDI I/O connectors. There's also a FireWire version (Firefly 302 Plus), but I'd personally recommend the USB version - particularly for it's stability on Windows-based systems. It has slightly fewer analog inputs, so it'll depend how many you really need (one mic, two line, stereo s/pdif).

Sorry to interrupt. Obviously I'm biased here, so I won't yell and scream about how great it is. I just wanted to point out another option. Carry on!

• Members

Don't mean to throw my own hat in the ring, but the Phonic Firefly 302 USB also has MIDI I/O connectors. There's also a FireWire version (Firefly 302 Plus), but I'd personally recommend the USB version - particularly for it's stability on Windows-based systems. It has slightly fewer analog inputs, so it'll depend how many you really need (one mic, two line, stereo s/pdif).

Sorry to interrupt. Obviously I'm biased here, so I won't yell and scream about how great it is. I just wanted to point out another option. Carry on!

Hey, no problem - we'll take useful info from any source! I've been impressed by the 808, but the 302 wasn't on my radar. So I checked it out and for $150, it looks pretty cool. I'm surprised it goes up to 192kHz, but I suppose with USB 2.0, that's possible as long as you have a limited number of inputs.

Looks like the biggest limitation is the single mic input if you want to do stereo miking of acoustic sources, although in a pinch you could always patch a preamp into one of the line ins.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a problem with my Satellite:
I can use the pod with my mac and Ableton but when i want to use the station with the pod, the satellite doesn't recognize the firewire connection :(
It gets power but the firewire light doesn't come on. Neither is is recognized by my computer.
I am using an Intel 2 Core Duo Macbook.

Does anyone else have this program?
Any ideas to solve it?

Please help.

BTW, i have had the Satellite for a while but wasn't able to start using it until yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I have a problem with my Satellite:

I can use the pod with my mac and Ableton but when i want to use the station with the pod, the satellite doesn't recognize the firewire connection
:(
It gets power but the firewire light doesn't come on. Neither is is recognized by my computer.

I am using an Intel 2 Core Duo Macbook.

Does anyone else have this program?

Any ideas to solve it?

Please help.

BTW, i have had the Satellite for a while but wasn't able to start using it until yesterday.

Hi,

I'm sorry to drag up a thread from such a long time ago but I couldn't seem to find info on this problem anywhere else.

I am experiencing the exact problem with my Satellite and wondered if anyone could shed some light?

If you could help, that would be brilliant!

Thanks

Archived