ABLETON LIVE 6

Anderton

• Members

I think the reasoning is that as you're basically using ReWire with a slave to feed raw audio in a host, that you would use plug-ins in the host. Of course, the "Achilles Heel" of that approach is what happens if the ReWire slave was proprietary plug-ins that have no other equivalent? Still, for my purposes, being able to treat live as a loop generator for use with other programs has turned out to be pretty useful.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Still, for my purposes, being able to treat live as a loop generator for use with other programs has turned out to be pretty useful.

I personally don't like that approach because it means you have to START the whole process with both programs going. The thing I love about Reason is that you can start working on a loop or other chunk of music with ONLY Reason running, and then run Reason as a slave later without changing anything.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I'm fairly new to Live 6 and I have pretty much an entire song recorded in it. It was really easy to lay down all the tracks and edit what needed to be edited. The problem is the song is over 20 tracks long and when I hit play the sound cuts out and cuts in later in the song. The CPU overload light is going off and it is frustrating the crap out of me. I have an Hp desktop with XP Pro, 3 Ghz P4, 1 GB of RAM(I know I should up to 2), and a line 6 toneport for inputing. I've tried backing up all my data and completely restoring to factory settings and reinstalling everything and get the same problem. When there is only a few tracks playing it doesn't happen as often, but when I have a VST like EZDrummer running it doesn't like to cooperate. I've gotten rid of all the tracks that I didn't need anymore and deactivated all the VSTs after mixing down to another track and it still won't play straight through without skipping and cutting out.

Should I be editing all the empty areas out of all the tracks or should I group and mix down similar tracks to 1 or 2 tracks, I really don't want to do that should I want to make another mix of the song.

I have a digital 16 track recorder and I moved to PC recording so I could escape the confines of 16 tracks and mixing down tracks to free up additional tracks. Somebody please tell me I made a good choice in switching to PC recording. Keep in mind that I have NO money to spend on a new computer or a better processor at this time and probably not for a while. I just want to know of an easy fix to this problem.

Thanks

• 5 months later...
  • Members

What you can do is try freezing the tracks that your not working on and then unfreeze em when its there turn to be mixed. This will cause your CPU load to go down dramatically. Increasing the latency of your toneport in the mixing process won't cause a delay because you aren't recording anything else. Hope this helps

Archived