Alesis io26 and io14 Interfaces

Anderton

• Members

Hi,

has anyone tried using the io|26 with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard yet? Remembering the hassle with 10.5 Leopard I am a bit worried . . .

But who knows, maybe they left the OS X firewire audio subsystem as is?

Thanks for any news on this!

Cheers.

Answering myself in case anyone is interested: I did a quick test, and so far it seems to work. I have only tried MIDI input and sound output via channels 1–2, so there might be some surprises. But it looks good so far.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been using the i|o 26 for almost two years now in my studio,and happy to say that I never had a single problem with it. Using it with cubase sx 2 and (recently) Reaper.never tried the ADAT though..I only use the stock mic preamps and the SPDIF.
Before this one I used the Aardvark Q10, which is really great and really sounded nice,but reaaallllyyy buggy. I was set on buying focusrite saffire pro or the presonus firepod, but looking at the price, design, and feature of the Alesis (not to mention reading rumor somewhere that the saffire pro and the alesis have the same engine inside) i made the purchase on alesis and never been happier.

• Members

I recently bought io26 and intstrument/midi setup seems to work fine, but I can't get any sound from the computer through my speakers. After recording I'm not able to listen to anything. Signals from recording works fine but there seems to be no signal from the computer (playing mp3, listen in Cubase etc.)

I have connected the io26 from outs 1&2 to regular phono inputs in my amp. io26 is set as my main sound card and I have disabled all other sound devices.

I have a Dell Inspiron 530, running Vista 32 bit. I have installed all the latest drivers from www.alesis.com.

Can someone please help? Getting frustrated...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey guys,

I just dropped by to let you guys know that Alesis has finally released some new drivers for the Macintosh users. I installed them and everything seems to be working fine. There have been a few changes, for example the device configuration is no longer a pref pane in sysprefs. The readme states that the drivers only work with the 32-bit kernel mode.

Grab them here:
http://www.alesis.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/1131/tt/5

cheers
Alex

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Midi out fails when sending midi data out from Alesis IO26.

My Alesis IO26 is hooked up to my PC via a Belkin firewire card (Alesis recommended). I have a .syx file that I need to send out to an outboard piece of audio equipment. I load the .syx file in a midi librarian (Bome's SendSX) and send the file. It transfers slowly, but doesn't quite get to the end... SendSX then issues an error message: "An invalid parameter was passed to a system function".

I double-checked everything, the .syx file, the cables, the sending and receiving gear... and was able to actually upload that very same .syx file using a different midi interface (a rudimentary midi in&out on the SoundBlaster Audigy soundcard). So it simply has to be an issue with the Alesis IO26's midi port or midi data handling.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Dan

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello,

I'm using the Alesis IO 26 for quite a long time now and as you all know it's a nice thing sometimes and sometimes it's not!

Since running Mac OS 10.6 I can't run the AlesisHDM-App!
(I do have the new Version Updated by Alesis 09/14/2009)
Is there somebody having the same Problem or does anybody know a Workaround for that?

Would be great if somebody would help!

Thanks a lot!

Christian

• Members

Hi Anderton,

Thanks for trying to help me, but as I already wrote, I've got the newest Version Installed!

Maybe someone got the same problem?

Sorry, guess I read too hastily! I'm not running Snow Leopard yet so I can't offer any advice based on personal experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm a mediocre recording musician bent on trying to run this Alesis io 26 with ACID Pro 7.

could anyone walk me through what i ought to be doing to set it up/ record? i'd love to be able to record drums with this interface, but dont know the first thing about setting it up so i can do so.

i'd really not like to have to run Cubase, as i've been running Acid since before i can remember, and am super comfortable with it.

it would mean so much if anyone could get back to me. Thank you again and again.

• Members

does anyone know if the Alesis io 26 will work with Acid Pro 7? i havent purchased one yet, and i'm very confused as far as how i'm going to set it up in my DAW so that i can record drums easily on 8 seperate channels and mix them later. i also dont understand how i'm supposed to set it up.

any help is very much appreciated. please and thank you

• Members

Can't speak for Acid Pro, but I've done what you want to do with Cubase, Sonar, and Reaper. Providing that Acid Pro works like any other DAW, you should be golden. As you know, there are 8 inputs on the Alesis and you assign each to a separate track in Acid and away you go. Your Acid manual should tell you how to do that, and the Alesis manual is downloadable from their site. Check under "support".

• Members

is there any odd way of setting up the Alesis io 26? i understand firewire should be pretty quick, but as far as choosing an input device, should i just go to the recording options in the control panel? i put my order for it in today, so i feel like i ought to be able to set it up once it gets here. thanks so much for the help, i feel like it shouldnt be too much of a problem to use in acid, i just have to learn how to assign each input to a track on it's own, as i've lost my manual for Acid Pro. hopefully they have a downloadable manual too.

thanks a million times over, mr. dug dog.

• Members

I've had mine about a year and its worked great up untill
last week, now all i get is it going missing from my pc.
Sometimes you can pull the firewire and then put it back
in and it works sometimes reinstall the drivers and it works
sometimes it just take messing around with to get it to
work.
Sat down today to put drums on a track i was into-headphones
on..........it never worked. Now sonar is have trouble seeing it.
If it ran as well as its built and as well as it looks it would be
some bit of kit.
I have 6 mics going into it then a desktop, which has the power
to run it but i'm getting sick of it.

Mark

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Question for you Alesis io 14/26 users..

Have any of you compared the sound/conversion on the Alesis io's to other converters like: Rme, the Echo Audiofire series, M-Audio Profire series..etc??

Any other firewire products in the, say, 500 to 1200 range??

Curious to know where the Alesis sound fits in across the range of available firewire cards out there.

• Members

I'm on my second io26 and it's been running beautifully for a year. I love these things.

BUT, one thing I HATE about it is, if for some reason the unit resets itself or upon a system restart, the main level jumps to 100%. I've tried searching this behemoth of a forum for this issue, so I hope I didn't miss it.

In the HDM you can save settings, which is great... except it doesn't save main level settings. Since it's a digital pot, its value is not locked to its physical position like the preamp/headphone gain pots. So why can't it save a main level setting so I don't have to accidentally blow out my ears/monitors whenever the thing decides to reboot?

In short, is there a way to tell this thing to be quiet upon startup?

thanks!

• Members

Question for you Alesis io 14/26 users..

Have any of you compared the sound/conversion on the Alesis io's to other converters like: Rme, the Echo Audiofire series, M-Audio Profire series..etc??

Any other firewire products in the, say, 500 to 1200 range??

Curious to know where the Alesis sound fits in across the range of available firewire cards out there.

Someone's gotta have some info for this guy...

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Hello, I have the io14 and Cubase sx3, 4gb ram. I wondered if anyone new how to set the sample rate to 96hz, problem is once i load up Cubase sx3, the sample rate changes itself to 44.00 again. thanks. Luke

• Members

Hello, I have the io14 and Cubase sx3, 4gb ram. I wondered if anyone new how to set the sample rate to 96hz, problem is once i load up Cubase sx3, the sample rate changes itself to 44.00 again. thanks. Luke

I worked it out, in the control panel there is "apps cannot change sample rate", click that.

Archived