EUPHONIX ARTIST SERIES CONTROL SURFACE

Anderton

• Members

Just got a heads-up that 1.05 software is coming soon, with enhancements for Logic.

I mention this just because Euphonix seems to be pretty on the case about doing updates and enhancements...the 1.04 software was dated 4/11/08, which wasn't exactly a long time ago :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What would you use for a little home studio? MC Mix or MC Control?. I cant afford to have both.
Most of my songs are 8-10 tracks. (some more, some less).
Of course, MC Mix is cheaper, but will i miss the jog wheel for easy operation?

• Members
What would you use for a little home studio? MC Mix or MC Control?. I cant afford to have both.

Most of my songs are 8-10 tracks. (some more, some less).

Of course, MC Mix is cheaper, but will i miss the jog wheel for easy operation?

For the jogwheel operation you could get a Griffin PowerMate

For easier transport operation there are several solutions that doesn't cost as much, BUT the touch screen of the MC Control probably makes it worth it to get the MC Control over the MC Mix ;)

I'm in the same corner, but I'll probably get the MC Control when it's been on the market for a couple of months, and then get a MC Mix if/when I feel the need more faders:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

There have been two major releases within the past two weeks - the MC Control has started shipping in the U.S. and the Version 1.1.1 Software Package is posted for download on the Euphonix website.

Version 1.1.1 is for both the MC Mix and MC Control, and includes both software and firmware updates. All users should be sure to update their software and firmware with this latest release, as it offers significant performance improvements.

• Members

Okay, I've downloaded the software and also, for the past week I've been re-configuring my studio to allow for easier operation with the Euphonics (I guess I must like it if I re-did my studio to accommodate it!). I've also networked two Macs (Logic running on one, DP on the other) so I can test the EuCon Workstation software.

Note that the new software also provides a firmware update. I'll continue with setup this afternoon, and start posting comments later this evening.

• Members

The software installed without incident, and the firmware got updated. However, the MC Mix seemed reluctant to recognize the computer at first. A couple of restarts fixed things, and the system has been working fine ever since.

The first thing I noticed with Logic was that upper right of the display for each channel shows the track number. This may not seem like a big deal, but it is in terms of knowing where you are at any given moment. I also noticed that grouped faders seemed to track each other a little better than before, and the font issues that caused varying numbers of characters in the display appears to be fixed as well. Those are just the obvious ones for now...I'm sure I'll run across more.

• Members

Having the little plastic legs that clip on to the bottom of the MC Mix is a good start, as it slants the panel somewhat toward you. But I found that raising the rear by between 1 and 2 inches (I use small boards) makes a much better experience for me. It's easier to see the display, as well as see the faders straight on.

Another point worth mentioning is that the MC Mix is slightly "right-handed": If you adjust the knob with your left hand, your hand will cover up the display somewhat, whereas this won't happen if you use your right hand. The solution is to bring your left hand in fairly low.

Tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can figure out the EuCon Workstation software thing by myself - or whether my lack of networking experience gets in the way. Should be interesting... :) Meanwhile, it definitely seems like the fader action is snappier and tighter since the update.

• Members

The Euphonix controllers have a feature where they can control a different host on a different workstation (i.e., a different computer). This requires a separate application, EuCon Workstation, to be controlled on the target workstation.

Having successfully used the MC Mix with an Intel Mac running Logic and a Dual G5 running Digital Performer, and after verifying they both worked after the software/firmware upgrade (they did), I uninstalled the EuControl software from the G5 and installed the Workstation software, with the goal of making the G5 the "Workstation" computer.

However, the G5 didn't show up as an eligible workstation under the EuControl app on the Intel Mac. Now, this probably isn't too surprising, because I'm no expert on networking Macs. The situation is this:

The Intel Mac has two Ethernet ports; one connects to the MC Mix, the other to the ethernet router.

The G5 has one Ethernet port which connects to the Ethernet router.

Both computers can access the internet.

When I go to connect the G5 to the Intel Mac, it connects and I can read all the hard drives and such from the G5 on the Intel Mac.

However, I can't really do anything until I get the G5 to show up as one of the workstations in the EuControl application on the Intel Mac. If there's anyone out there with an MC Mix who has gotten this configuration and has any tips, let me know! Otherwise, I'll wait until after the holiday weekend, and contact Euphonix tech support.

• Members

I'm wondering if you might have to plug the MC MIX into the router - so it can see both machines.

I'm wanting to see someone review these two controllers with regards to Pro Tools and how it compares to a HUI. I've currently got a HUI and don't mind it's way of working at all... But this Euphonix rig is looking mighty sweet (and much smaller on the desktop).

Until I see such a review, or at least a whole bunch more published information from Euphonix on how useful this would be with Pro Tools - I won't be spending a dime. I just don't quite get how 4 faders on the MC Control (or 12 with MIX as well) can bank across on a pseudo HUI under PT. And I wanna know if you can use the automation button to select the newly added automation feature Touch/Latch from the control surface. And I wanna know if you can map plugin controls across the faders? And I wanna know everything it can and can't do in PT :):confused:

• Members

I'm wondering if you might have to plug the MC MIX into the router - so it can see both machines.

Hmmm...I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm wanting to see someone review these two controllers with regards to Pro Tools and how it compares to a HUI. I've currently got a HUI and don't mind it's way of working at all... But this Euphonix rig is looking mighty sweet (and much smaller on the desktop).

Well, here's the problem...I run Pro Tools on Windows, and the MC Mix is Mac-only - at the moment. From what I understand, the EuControl Workstation software will be made available for Windows, and I that point I can check it out.

• Members

To run multiple workstations and/or controllers, we strongly recommend that you connect everything via a router. You will have EuControl installed one Mac (which acts as the EuCon "brain"), and install the Workstation software on your second Mac. You then access the EuCon settings window on your host Mac and select what surfaces and workstation that you want to connect. This is also where you set your EuCon preferences.

As for how EuCon handles Pro Tools, it is via HUI, but the Euphonix controllers offer some features that go beyond the standard HUI capabilities. Most of these additional features are specific to the MC Control related to its programmable touchscreen and data entry wheel, but the MC Mix also offers the ability to access EQ and dynamics directly from the surface (not through inserts), and view eight parameters of EQ at a time (standard HUI only supports four).

The MC Control additionally offers preprogrammed Soft Keys that provide instant access to most top-level Pro Tools functions, as well as a Soft Key Editor that will let you create custom Soft Keys for any additional Pro Tools function or macro commands (the Soft Key Editor is in the upcoming Version 1.2 release in the next few weeks). The data entry wheel additiaonlly allows you to jog/shuttle; zoom in/out; trim head/tail, slip edit and move region; trim head/tail and move selection in PT.

• Members

To run multiple workstations and/or controllers, we strongly recommend that you connect everything via a router. You will have EuControl installed one Mac (which acts as the EuCon "brain"), and install the Workstation software on your second Mac. You then access the EuCon settings window on your host Mac and select what surfaces and workstation that you want to connect. This is also where you set your EuCon preferences.

I have both Macs connected to the same router, and EuControl installed on Mac #1 and Workstation (but not EuControl) on Mac #2. The MC Mix is patched into Mac #1 via the Ethernet cable supplied with the MC Mix. The problem is that the EuCon software doesn't seem to see Mac #2. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

• Members

I have both Macs connected to the same router, and EuControl installed on Mac #1 and Workstation (but not EuControl) on Mac #2. The MC Mix is patched into Mac #1 via the Ethernet cable supplied with the MC Mix. The problem is that the EuCon software doesn't seem to see Mac #2. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

I think what Basshag is saying (who I assume is a Euphonix person) is that network wise you need a router, and all computers and controls connected directly to that.

So, network cable wise you'll want :

Router

| | |

------------- | -------------

| | |

G5 2nd Workstation MC Mix

So the MC Mix is relaniant on the G5, it's independent (network wise). Depending on your router you may have to specifiy an IP address for your machines (MC Mix included). But from my readings of the manual for the MC series, DHCP should be golden.

• Members

Thanks for the advice. I talked with Euphonix today (I must say they are good about tech support, I'm not the only person to notice that) and their suggestions mirrored yours. I'll be trying it out tomorrow, it's gotten a little late around here...

• Members

Tech support suggested two things: That I go into System Settings, select Universal Access, and check "Enable Access for Assistive Devices" (see the first image). The other was connecting the control surface's Ethernet connection to the same router feeding the two Macs. So I did, and...no luck. Both Macs saw the internet through the router, both Macs saw a printer on the network, but Mac #1 (with the main EuCon software), and Mac #2 (with the Workstation software) refused to see each other.

I restarted (many, many times!), swapped cables, checked and re-checked, but still, nothing happened. Finally, to make a long story short, I decided to uninstall the Workstation software from Mac #2 and re-install it.

Success! I was finally greeted with EuCon recognizing both workstations (see the second image). By attaching and detaching the appropriate workstation, I could control Logic Pro on Mac #1, and Digital Performer on Mac #2. Cool!

Tech support had said that it probably wasn't necessary to connect the control surface to the router, but recommended that I do that anyway to minimize variables. So, after I got things working, I disconnected the control surface from the router and plugged it into Mac #1's second Ethernet port. Again, success; it was checking "Enable Access for Assistive Devices" that was key to making things work.

At this point, the review is going to "go dark" for a bit as I will be traveling for the next week or so, and can't take two Macs, a router, and the Euphonix control surface in my carry-on bag :). But we've pretty much accomplished everything we needed to do so far:

1. Successfully tested the MC Mix with Logic Pro and Digital Performer.

2. Successfully used the MC Mix with both Intel and PPC Macs.

3. Successfully used the workstation mode to switch the MC Mix between two different computers and two different programs.

4. Installed all the recent updates, both software and firmware, and observed the incremental improvements that occurred as a result.

I was told there would be new software coming out soon, so when I get back, we may have some new goodies...and, the MC Control is now out, so Euphonix will be sending me one to integrate into the Pro Review. What's more, I hear that the much-anticipated Workstation software for Windows computers will be arriving here soon. This will allow me to test the Artist Series with Sonar, which has EuCon support. I suppose this also means I'll be able to control my Windows-based Pro Tools system by using HUI.

So it looks like this Pro Review will be sticking around for a while longer...stay tuned!

• Members

Woohoo!!

I'm looking forward to reading more about HUI implementation under PT!

Actually, Basshag - if you're still listening, can you answer my questions about wether the automation select button on the fader strip toggles through all available automation modes under PT 7.x (they added touch/latch at some point, and of course the HUI doesn't offer a button for that).

Also - another thing I'm looking for, but not sure it will do - is there any form of 5.1 panning under HUI usage for the MC Control/Mix?

• Members

Yes, you can toggle through all PT automation modes, including touch/latch.

As for surround functionality, our high-end MC Pro features a joystick that can do surround in PTHD, and we are planning on adding this feature using the touch-screen in a future release.

• Members

Running Pro Tools with EuCon under the HUI protocol, are you able to get more resolution (specifically with the faders)? I understand EuCon is operating at 250x the speed and 8x the resolution, but is that being compromised or truncated by the limitations of HUI?

• Members

Running Pro Tools with EuCon under the HUI protocol, are you able to get more resolution (specifically with the faders)? I understand EuCon is operating at 250x the speed and 8x the resolution, but is that being compromised or truncated by the limitations of HUI?

Excellent question! I don't have the answer, but I bet Euphonix does.

• Members

We are limited in resolution by the HUI spec - there is no getting around that. The EuCon protocol really sets itself apart with applications that support it natively, as we are then able to use the full bandwidth and feature set of our protocol. Having said that, the Artist Series gives you HUI performance on par or better than other HUI controllers (especially the MC Control).

In speaking with Pro Tools users over the past few months, the main reasons that I hear again and again for why they bought the MC Mix/Control is that the Artist Series are the only PT controllers with a form factor that easily fits into their studio, with expandability up to 36 faders.

Archived