Casio XW-P1 Performance Synthesizer

Anderton

• Members

Haven't tried this to see if there's some way to make it work or not, but I've always found matrix modulation to be pretty flexible. One "governor" trick I've done when trying to get wah sounds, where you need to restrict a filter cutoff frequency's high limit, is to modulate cutoff with an envelope set for no attack or decay, sustain only, and use a pedal to control envelope amount. By trimming the envelope sustain, that becomes the maximum envelope level.

There are all kind of tricks hidden in synths, and the XW-P1 has a ton of things hidden in there...I just have to find them smile.gif

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin

View Post

Craig,

This is absolutely possible and can be done by just using the filter envelope depth. I also think this will give him the desired result.

Okay, back to the step sequencer.

Hey Mike - just FYI - I needed to come up with a music bed, and I called up one of the step sequencers and just triggered the patterns I needed, when I needed them, and recorded the audio into a DAW. Never touched the keyboard, and had what I needed after about three minutes of practice.

Sometimes it seems I just can't get away from using Casio gear as a music library smile.gif

• Members

I feel like the test subject in the movie "Scanners" - POP! So what does source mean in Tone-->Solo Synth-->Edit-->VirtualCtrl-->Source [cc74 cutoff], Depth [-127], Dest [T.Filter] [Resonance]? What would happen with these settings? I just tried and it seemed nothing happened...if you'll get to this topic later just tell me to be patient I'd completely understand.

• Members

Okay I am back with an update on the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller...

I got a brand new MIDI Solutions pedal controller, which should come out of the box set to Midi Channel 1 and to control MIDI CC 7 (Volume) and it does the exact same thing as my older one which is either nothing or it makes the XW-P1 freeze so that a restart is needed. I have a cable tester and tested the midi cables and they checked out, but I may try another set before sending the second box back for a refund and concluding that for some reason the XW-P1 and the MIDI Solutions pedal controller just don't get along for some reason; unless you Craig or you Mike have any other suggestions?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gneissnfunky

View Post

I feel like the test subject in the movie "Scanners" - POP! So what does source mean in Tone-->Solo Synth-->Edit-->VirtualCtrl-->Source [cc74 cutoff], Depth [-127], Dest [T.Filter] [Resonance]? What would happen with these settings? I just tried and it seemed nothing happened...if you'll get to this topic later just tell me to be patient I'd completely understand.

Hey, no problem! You're almost there...what's hanging you up is the Source. When set to cc74, what that means is an incoming #74 MIDI continuous controller will vary the parameter based on how you've set up your edits above.

Try this: set up all the parameters the same way you set them up above, except replace the source with Modulation. This means the source controller will be the XW-P1's mod wheel, which will allow you to move the mod wheel and hear the effects of any changes very clearly. Also, set the Resonance assignable control (K2) to the mid position so it won't affect what we're about to do too much.

Set the modulation wheel up full, all the way. Next, vary the Depth parameter by making it more positive until you reach the value that provides the maximum resonance you want - maybe around 105 or so.

Now when you move the mod wheel from full off to full on, the resonance will go from 0 to 105.

So then I started thinking about how to create a "governer" if you didn't want to use the mod wheel. I tried the following, and it turned out pretty cool!

Again, start with the string of parameters above. This time, set Source to NoteOnVel and depth to around -016 or so. What this does is drive the resonance down at higher note velocities, so the Assignable Knob will be able to increase the resonance only so far because the note velocity will be driving it down somewhat. But if you play a soft note, then you have the full resonance range available - which is actually kind of a cool effect, and more expressive because there's greater variety between louder and softer notes.

Now try playing and adjusting the Assignable resonance knob. I think you'll find it's much more controllable at higher velocities because no matter how high you turn up the knob, if you're playing a loud note it will be bringing the resonance down by the amount you specified.

Let us know if a) this makes sense to you, and b) whether it provides an effect you like!

Note to Dr. Martin: This also gives me a suggestion for the "next firmware update wish list" if there isn't already some other way to do this - include a modulation source source that's a steady-state "bias" controller. Then you could add a "bias" to any parameter by adjusting the depth control, and make it easy to set a lower or upper limit for a parameter assigned to the real-time control knobs.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by So73

View Post

Okay I am back with an update on the MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller...

I got a brand new MIDI Solutions pedal controller, which should come out of the box set to Midi Channel 1 and to control MIDI CC 7 (Volume) and it does the exact same thing as my older one which is either nothing or it makes the XW-P1 freeze so that a restart is needed. I have a cable tester and tested the midi cables and they checked out, but I may try another set before sending the second box back for a refund and concluding that for some reason the XW-P1 and the MIDI Solutions pedal controller just don't get along for some reason; unless you Craig or you Mike have any other suggestions?

Try swapping cables first. If the XW-P1 responds to channel 1 controller 7 coming in from a sequencer, it should respond to the pedal controller. Have you considered contacting MIDI Solutions for support? There might be something really obvious they would know about.

• Members

I do say, good show Guv'ner! ...wow, I just gave it a try, soooo cool...thank you, really nice workarounds...plus you've got me thinking about "modulation matrices" all day...I think I'm gonna try to incorporate that phrase into a meeting next time at work...people will be saying "check out the big brain on Brad" [samuel jacksonesque]...you've really just opened a lot of doors in my understanding of synth architecture, thanks again.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by monsterism

View Post

Anychance you guys can do more audio examples pleasesmile.gif

I take requests smile.gif

I'll do an audio clip of me just playing the step sequencer so you can see what my "this is kinda like Ableton Live" rantings are all about.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by raymb1

View Post

Can the xw be split? Like bass on the left and piano on the right. Can't figure out how to do it. Ads say the board can be split. Thanks, Ray

You definitely can! With the XW-P1, a "Performance" is like what some other synth manufacturers call "combi" or "multi" mode. You can create four Zones, and these can be splits, layers, or splits and layers (e.g., bass on the left, lead on the right, pad across the entire keyboard, something else providing a layer on the bottom part of the bass, etc.).

Once you're in a Performance, go into Edit mode and choose Zone. There (among many other parameters!!) you can specify the high and low note range for the Zone. You select the Zone you want to edit with the Part (+) and (-) buttons.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Smart Alec

View Post

wave.gif

How about some choirs and orchestral brass?

smile.gif

Yeah, how about some choirs? Here ya go!

This has some of the standard choirs, with a few of the synth choirs and a jazz-type "dooo" thrown in there for good measure. Not sure what kind of genre you were looking for, but for choirs, I figure you can't go wrong with some cinematic/new age type stuff to get the point across.

I recorded this into Sonar, and just for kicks I put on one of the Lexicon concert hall plug-ins...it really opened up the sound, and did wonderful things to the image. But, I resisted the temptation to dress things up a bit, so what you're hearing is the straight Casio sound going direct into the Octa-Capture interface.

BTW I also recorded some brass. The XW-P1 is heavy on solo brass rather than brass sections, but I'll put the brass up next. I suspect that making my own presets could do some nice brass ensembles by combining a couple solo instruments.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by monsterism

View Post

Cheers

Can I ask does the Casio have anything like the chord memory in the X6?.

Yes. You can use the phrase sequencer to do this. Put the phrase sequencer in record, play the chord you want and hold it (for a while). Save it. Then use the Key Play feature to transpose the chord.

In a Performance you can choose which zones access the Phrase.

• Members

Hi! I've been a Casio fan for over 30 years - I bought my first Casio keyboard (a CT-202) directly from Casio UK in 1981, and since then I have owned a CZ-101, a CPS-101 piano (used as a MIDI controller), a second-hand CZ-1 and finally a WK-3000. The XW-P1 sounds like a more than worthy successor to the CZ series in many ways and yet...

I have had a close look at the user manual, and it seems that while Hex Layer mode offers a true ADSR amplitude envelope, there is no user-adjustable filtering available in this mode apart from a cutoff control. Is this really the case? Surely a polysynth worthy of the name should offer some kind of adjustable timbre-shaping. And the PCM side is even more limited - no filtering at all (even the WK-3000 had that). Maybe this has been glossed over in your review - it is a fantastic machine for the price - but I would like to know what your take on this is.

BTW, if you want to hear what I was doing with a CZ-101 and a CT-202 (plus electric and acoustic pianos, bass guitar and a Yamaha drum machine) 25 years ago, visit this page!

Many thanks,

Simon "Butterfingers" Beck

London, UK

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Yeah, how about some choirs? Here ya go!

Not sure what kind of genre you were looking for, but for choirs, I figure you can't go wrong with some cinematic/new age type stuff to get the point across.

Thanks, Craig. We all have our little musical quirks, don't we? Whenever I check out a keyboard I always look to see if its choirs and EPs will let me do a passable Stephen Halpern impersonation... and I also think A good French Horn section complements your basic strings and choirs in nice ways....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Smart Alec

View Post

...had to pawn my WK3200 about two years ago, and I really miss that machine...

Sorry to hear about that. I still have my 3000 (it's now my family's home keyboard) and, while I use a Nord Electro 3 73 and a Roland VK-7 live with my band, I still use the WK-3000 for home recordings and practising.

My old CT-202 now lives at the Horniman Museum in Forest Hill, not far from where I live in south London (although it's not currently on display). My CZ-101 died of old age about 10 years ago; the CZ-1 which replaced it got stolen, and I Freecycled the CPS-101 piano a few years ago.

If I do get another Casio, it'll be the XW. But not for a while yet...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by simonbeck

View Post

I have had a close look at the user manual, and it seems that while Hex Layer mode offers a true ADSR amplitude envelope, there is no user-adjustable filtering available in this mode apart from a cutoff control. Is this really the case? Surely a polysynth worthy of the name should offer some kind of adjustable timbre-shaping. And the PCM side is even more limited - no filtering at all (even the WK-3000 had that). Maybe this has been glossed over in your review - it is a fantastic machine for the price - but I would like to know what your take on this is.

Actually it's a little more complex than how it appears.

The non-drum PCM tones have a filter cutoff parameter, it's a standard low pass filter.

pFJFX.png

However it doesn't have modulation or resonance...it's more like a tone control. The drum sounds do not have a filter, although you can always put wah after it if you want the "funky filtered drum sound" effect.

You are correct that the Layer in a Hex Layer has only a low pass filter with cutoff control, like the way filtering is handled with PCM tones. Remember, the Hex Layer is based on the Tone architecture - the main difference is it gives you six of them.

The Solo Synth mode is where Casio put their filter mojo. Each of the six blocks has a filter section with slope (3, 6, 12, and 18dB per octave), velocity modulation (what Casio calls "Touch Sense"), key follow, envelope depth, and amount from the two LFOs. The envelope has nine stages; it's a time/level type with beat-synched retriggering, which is definitely cool smile.gif

However, all the blocks go through a "Total" section, which has a multimode filter that offers a choice of lowpass, bandpass, or highpass. It also has the same envelope, LFO, etc. controls as the filters do in the individual blocks, including the beat-synched envelope retriggering.

rdFuJ.png

So, the bottom line is if you want your choice of filter responses on, say, a PCM tone, you can load it into a Solo Synth patch (and layer it with a second PCM tone if you like), then send the combined output through the Total Filter. Of course, in this mode you're subject to both the constraints and advantages of the Solo Synth architecture.

Casio's terminology is in some ways misleading, because you might think that "solo synth" means you can only do saw, square, etc. but it's also another vehicle for PCM tones. Furthermore, it's the option that's used for processing external signals.

• Members

Hi,

I just discovered this thread while I was searching for a solution to my update problem.

I downloaded the update yesterday (Mac version), followed the instructions and

after almost 4 lines of update (P1 display) I got : 'Mac Error' in a popup with an OK button. I pressed OK and then ... Nothing.confused.gif

My P1 froze on the update screen and stayed this way for minutes. I switched it of and

on again but nothing happens. Seems all internal soft is gone. P1 is dead, cry.gif

Can anyone help? Is there a hard reset or do I have to take it back for service?

I only got it for 10 days or so and I'm very sad this happened. I never had a firmware

update gone wrong before with al the equipment I had before (A6, Virus TI, Roland stuff, Korg stuff,...)

Thanks for any respons,

Paulogic

Archived