Casio XW-P1 Performance Synthesizer

Anderton

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Could you be more specific? Are you trying to drive XW-P1 sounds over MIDI from sequences within the MPC? Bear in mind that this is not an MPC forum, nor do I have one, so I can only investigate using MIDI with the XW-P1 on a more general level.

O of course i know this is not an MPC forum, and so My question is more directly involving the P1 smile.gif . i want to simply use the P1 for synth sounds etc and use MPC for drums. Now how do the midi channels work on the P1? it seems the channels on the P1 are predetermined and wont allow free use of them. forexample only the monosynth,hexlayer, OR drawbar can utilize channel 1 which is fine. but how do i use the other channels?? I want to basically let channel one be ,for example, the hexlayer, then let channel to be a piano and so forth. how do i set the P1 to do this? im less of a performer and more of a studio record kind of guy ya know?

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by copesland

View Post

O of course i know this is not an MPC forum, and so My question is more directly involving the P1 smile.gif

My mention of that was just that I didn't think you'd get much response about MPC-related aspects, but if I had one, I'd try to help!

Now how do the midi channels work on the P1? it seems the channels on the P1 are predetermined and wont allow free use of them. forexample only the monosynth,hexlayer, OR drawbar can utilize channel 1 which is fine. but how do i use the other channels?? I want to basically let channel one be ,for example, the hexlayer, then let channel to be a piano and so forth. how do i set the P1 to do this? im less of a performer and more of a studio record kind of guy ya know?

Okay, I think I see what you want. The Mixer is the part that assigns tones to the 16 channels. Basically, you press the Mixer button, then use the Part +/- buttons to step through the 16 mixer parts (channels). After you've chosen a part, then you can select a Tone to be associated with that part.

For example, suppose you want a nylon string guitar on channel 12.

1. Press the Mixer button to open up the Mixer for editing.
  2. Use the Part +/- buttons to select channel 12 on the mixer (there's a string of the 16 numbers along the display's lower right).
  3. Navigate to the Tone parameter in the display.
  4. Press the PCM button for the Guitar category.
  5. Rotate the Data Wheel until you see Nylon Guitar as the desired tone.

Now data coming in over channel 12 will play the Nylon Guitar sound, assuming that all your other MIDI settings are correct (e.g., MIDI input is enabled for USB of 5-pin DIN, etc.).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by monsterism

View Post

Copes land I be interested as well, can I ask for your impressions of the p1 since I too own an akai mpc and want to use it for drums and samples and p1 for synths

What our good friend anderton is the TRUTH! IT WORKS.

my fellow MPC user yes this board is badass. I used to have a fantom g7 and it did not bite like this. Granted, they are two different type of boards but this thing is soooo versatile. you can make so many filthy sounds with it. which you'd love if you're a hip-hop type a guy. thought you mentioned that earlier. Get this board right quick homie. Ps. which mpc you got? i got a 4000

• Members

I own a 2500 and produce hip hop. I would love to hear any basic examples if the P1 in a hip hop context. I like to also ask if it did cross your mind why you choose the p1 say over the g1 and do you fell you get any mileage out of the step sequencer despite owning a mpc.

Also last question are you using the mpc as audio in to the p1 or using the p1 audio output to the mpc?

• Members

Ok the way i use it is kinda funny. I dont use a mixer much. I prefer to record a phrase then sample i into the mpc. piece by piece. for my ears, it makes things "mesh". other wise to me it sounds like so dope a** drums wit a lead or somthing soloing over the top dig me? and i use this for hip soley although i am an organ player as well.

The step sequencer for you wont be as useful. REASON: the 2500 has 480 ppq i believe which is what the casio has. so for example when you want that robotic hip hop hi hat you get with your note repeat, you can use the step sequencer. but your MPC can already accomplish this. Mine on the other hand has 996 ppq which gives a different feel by a long shot. i have note repeat but its not as robotic which is whats generally used in hip-hop.especially southern music (my forte) .

throw more ideas at me tho. im here bruh

• Members

Per your request...some string examples.

There are three sections, as usual just played straight into Sonar.

The first is the main stereo strings patch designed for pads and ensembles. I gave it some attacks as well as sustained sections so you could hear how the synth reacted.

The second is a string synthesizer patch. One aspect I wanted to point out in this example is how the velocity affects brightness; you can hear individual notes "emerge" from the more muted background.

Finally (am I brave, or what?) - solo violin.

I have to say after playing with the various string patches, I'm modifying my opinion to thinking that these are pretty darn useable. So while I still think of the XW-P1 as a synthesizer, the PCM sounds are starting to grow on me - and some that I'm finding as I spin the dial really work for me. I like that when I dig deeper into a piece of gear, I find more things I like rather than finding limitations I didn't notice at first.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Per your request...some string examples.

There are three sections, as usual just played straight into Sonar.

The first is the main stereo strings patch designed for pads and ensembles. I gave it some attacks as well as sustained sections so you could hear how the synth reacted.

The second is a string synthesizer patch. One aspect I wanted to point out in this example is how the velocity affects brightness; you can hear individual notes "emerge" from the more muted background.

Finally (am I brave, or what?) - solo violin.

I have to say after playing with the various string patches, I'm modifying my opinion to thinking that these are pretty darn useable. So while I still think of the XW-P1 as a synthesizer, the PCM sounds are starting to grow on me - and some that I'm finding as I spin the dial really work for me. I like that when I dig deeper into a piece of gear, I find more things I like rather than finding limitations I didn't notice at first.

ok i'm VERY new to sound synthesis. Never have i really created a sound from scratch so i'd like to hear some sounds from other p1 users. anderton feel free to toss a few as well. I'd like to hear some hex layers and monosynth creations!!! thanks

• Members

View Post

Ok the way i use it is kinda funny. I dont use a mixer much. I prefer to record a phrase then sample i into the mpc. piece by piece. for my ears, it makes things "mesh". other wise to me it sounds like so dope a** drums wit a lead or somthing soloing over the top dig me? and i use this for hip soley although i am an organ player as well.

The step sequencer for you wont be as useful. REASON: the 2500 has 480 ppq i believe which is what the casio has. so for example when you want that robotic hip hop hi hat you get with your note repeat, you can use the step sequencer. but your MPC can already accomplish this. Mine on the other hand has 996 ppq which gives a different feel by a long shot. i have note repeat but its not as robotic which is whats generally used in hip-hop.especially southern music (my forte) .

throw more ideas at me tho. im here bruh

Thanks for the reply.

Its similar to how I'm going to use it myself, record a phrase then sample it into the MPC which is made easier with JJOS Looper on the 2500.

I knew the step sequencer was going to be pointless for me, I wish Casio would did a 49 key one since I live in a small ass room but that's my problem. At the moment saving up since the UK prices are extremely high compared to the States but it gives me time to listen to more demos and sounds that users have created.

• Members

View Post

Oh yes correct me if I'm wrong but love to hear how he Casio processes the sound from an external instrument, and what sonic madness can this mean?.

You'll find out smile.gif

• Members

Folks, this thing has a Theremin in it! I have never seen a Theremin sound on a synth before . . . and . . . with some tweaks . . . I think it will be be pretty darned usable! That saves me $300 for a Theremin and countless hours learning to master it, making the rest of the board a $200 purchase. Works for me!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by gneissnfunky

View Post

Craig, can you do a "Is Your XW-P1 Music Any Good? Find Out Here!" thread? I'm curious to here what others are doing.

People are certainly welcome to attach MP3 files of their music here; I tend to think it won't get out of hand. If it does, I'll start a separate thread and move the posts there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful World

View Post

Folks, this thing has a Theremin in it! I have never seen a Theremin sound on a synth before . . . and . . . with some tweaks . . . I think it will be be pretty darned usable! That saves me $300 for a Theremin and countless hours learning to master it, making the rest of the board a $200 purchase. Works for me!

dude a theremin... cmon... lol. to each his own!!! but dont forget it has a step sequencer too!!!!!!

• Members

Homemade sequence and solo synth sound to Coltrane's "Equinox". Solo Synth: Synth1 - [076] AP2 Pulse, Synth2 - [225] CZ Wave 26, PCM1 - [0176] Harp, PCM 2 - [0562] GM Chiff Lead, Noise - Filter Noise 3...Note this was a first take, I'm really trying to showcase solo synth and step sequence sounds created by a noob to synth [ATTACH]345119[/ATTACH]

• Members

Anynone get a gig bag for their XW-P1? I have some ideas from various retailers based on the measurements of the XW. I just want a gig bag for storing the unit at home when I am away.

love.gif

• Members

View Post

I found a site while do more research with more audio examples, from the google translate it seems its very good and the only niggle was no aftertouch:

http://www.amazona.de/index.php?page...074&page_num=3

Yes! That piano surprises me every time. The Casios samples have so bad reputation, that although I have heard good examples, the reputation makes me reserved and every time I hear it, I'm delightfully surprised.

• Members

View Post

dude a theremin... cmon... lol. to each his own!!! but dont forget it has a step sequencer too!!!!!!

Like a Theremin is so yesterday and a step sequencer is a new trick? There wouldn't even be an XW-P1 if Theremin hadn't done all the electronic pioneering he did. Watch the Theremin documentary and tell me how uninteresting it is. And quit raining on other posters' parades.

p.s. if it was so easy to reproduce a reasonable semblance of a Theremin, every other programmer in the world would have already done it.

Archived