London Fuzz II owners, please help

wro

• Members

I picked up an used one and I have been playing around with it. I've shown it to someone who has owned one and he said mine is broken because of a high pitch noise that comes in the last 10% of the fuzz knob.

Here is a little clip:

https://soundcloud.com/wagner-rodrigues-5/london-fuzz-ii-noise/s-XM2LC

Notice the high pitch noise when I crank the fuzz. I thought that was normal. Please let me know your experience with this box. Thanks.

• Members

Some fuzz pedals will "self oscillate" intentionally, but I don't think the London Fuzz II is meant to. It's a clone of a silicon fuzz face, I've built a few and never had this problem. It could also be some weird interaction between the pedal and your guitar, or other effects in your chain. Does the noise stop if you turn down the volume on your guitar?  How are you powering the london fuzz? Try using a battery temporarily to see if that cures the oscillation problem. From looking at pictures of the LFII on the internet, it appears they were a little too faithful to the original circuit and do not put in any power filtering even though it comes with a DC input jack. 

Archived