What is dub?

justinbass

• Members
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks, but when doing a search on the word 'dub' in a musicians forum, there's bound to be about less than a percent that will come back about reggae and more about dub'ing or doubling in the studio.

The band's name is Dub Trio, and the bassist said, "It's different when we play live, because we're dubbing out each other--I might hit the Space Echo on a mic feed from Joe's drums, just because it feels right, you know? For the bass I used to go for Ampeg 8x10 cabs with an 18 on stage, but the Ampegs only have about a 60-Hz minimum, I want 40 Hz -- it makes such a huge difference! Now I'm using an Aquilar 4x12 rig, which has the wide frequency response that really lets you dub out."

I asked myself, what the hell does he mean by 'dub out'? So I decided to ask the experts. Thanks for the help, really.

• Members

Originally posted by bonscottvocals

I asked myself, what the hell does he mean by 'dub out'? So I decided to ask the experts. Thanks for the help, really.

He's using the word a bunch of times in different meanings. I'm guessing he's refering to the dub sound like we might say our GB 600 let's us rock out.

Yo.

• Members

Thanks, but when doing a search on the word 'dub' in a musicians forum, there's bound to be about less than a percent that will come back about reggae and more about dub'ing or doubling in the studio.

The band's name is Dub Trio, and the bassist said,
"It's different when we play live, because we're dubbing out each other--I might hit the Space Echo on a mic feed from Joe's drums, just because it feels right, you know? For the bass I used to go for Ampeg 8x10 cabs with an 18 on stage, but the Ampegs only have about a 60-Hz minimum, I want 40 Hz -- it makes such a huge difference! Now I'm using an Aquilar 4x12 rig, which has the wide frequency response that really lets you dub out."

He means he can get those bone-rattling lows that you hear in dub reggae.

Where did you find that article online? I want to check out his gear list.

• Members

Originally posted by takeout

I've got that issue handy by my laptop at home... I'll try and type out his setup later this afternoon or something.

• Members

Originally posted by takeout

I actually typed all that, quoting the Guitar World interview. That's really about the whole interview, since it was one of those one-pagers with photo, you know? The issue has Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk (sp?) from RATM on the cover. Cool issue about locking in with the drummer.

• Members

I actually typed all that, quoting the Guitar World interview. That's really about the whole interview, since it was one of those one-pagers with photo, you know? The issue has Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk (sp?) from RATM on the cover. Cool issue about locking in with the drummer.

No gear talk? Bum.

Archived