What is dub?

justinbass

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would like to add something about the 'dub tone', generally they refer to that ultra-bassy, throbby, and deep sound, without treble.

they are some general tricks to achieve it:

- play with your fingers

- play quietly, almost barely touching the strings.

- roll the tone all down - you don´t need that treble!

- flatwound strings help a lot.

- SPACE is key. listen to it.

- Repetition and Repetition. Get into the groove. you can do a lot with 3 or 4 notes.

- passive pups, no pre-amp. most reggae and dub players played fender jazz basses, or precisions.. or anything they could get their hands into.

• Members

Originally posted by Saturday

I would like to add something about the 'dub tone', generally they refer to that ultra-bassy, throbby, and deep sound, without treble.

- play with your fingers

- Repetition and Repetition. Get into the groove. you can do a lot with 3 or 4 notes.

- passive pups, no pre-amp. most reggae and dub players played fender jazz basses, or precisions.. or anything they could get their hands into.

Another good trick is an envelope filter with the sesitivity turned off/way down.

Mmmm, throbby:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by dubwolf

Check out the Easy Star All-Stars

They've done wicked dub/reggae versions of Dark Side of the Moon (Dub Side Of The Moon) and OK Computer (Radiodread)

Sacriliage to some I know ( as was Bill Laswell's dub versions of Bob Marley), but still well done:thu:

I loved Dub Side of the Moon. Im a big Floyd fan, never thought it was sacrilege or anything. Thats about as far as ive gotten into Dub, though. Basically what youre saying is that its a sub-style of reggae with little to no vocals?

• Members

Originally posted by flatfacerincone

I loved Dub Side of the Moon. Im a big Floyd fan, never thought it was sacrilege or anything. Thats about as far as ive gotten into Dub, though. Basically what youre saying is that its a sub-style of reggae with little to no vocals?

In its original context in reggae, yes. Other musical styles have taken aspects of it and adapted it to their style, so alot of people see dub as anything with alot of reverb and echo applied to the drums, bass and/or vocals (if there are any). Usually what you get with vocals in dub is just short, selected lines which fade in and out and/or echo all over the place.

• Members
  • Members

Originally posted by Saturday

- play with your fingers

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, play at the bottom of the neck, over the last few frets, not over the pickups. This also negates the passive/active thing since you're not gonna hear any plucking sound over the PUs. I have a Musicman Stingray and am able to make some deep dubby tones with it despite it being active.

• Members

So I'm reading Bass Guitar and I see references to 'dub'. The bass player says he is 'dubbing' the drummer or guitar player, etc. What the heck is he talking about? OK, I live in NY, but I proudly play pop and classic country as well as some classic rock. I did my time playing metal and prog, and I've heard of emo, numetal, industrial, punk, post-punk, hardcore, metalcore, etc. This is the first time I heard of Dub. Can someone help this poor, musically challenged soul? ;)

• Members

Oh oh, I know what you mean-

you're talking about the article on the Dub Trio from NY?

I think what he means/meant in that context is in their band, they use different effects and stuff to "out dub" each other. I would assume their drummer has effects on his kick or other floor toms that have that ultra-low BOOM you hear on records sometimes.

Dub Trio, though- A-OK!!:thu:

Archived