Wireless mic

• Members

I have had PBS specials on all week here at home.

Really great concert progams on PBS this week.

I watched a great Barbara Streisand concert, and the Celtic Woman concert last night, and Mormon

Tabernacle concert tonight with a great opera singer.

I could not help but see the vocal mic of choice seemed to be a Senheiser wireless for all of except

the Mormon Tabernacle concert tonight.

There is no doubt that Barbara Streisand picks the best for her vocal.

My curiosity is very sparked for this model microphone.

Am I right this model is a Sennheiser?

• Members

Well I was completely wrong

it seems Barbara Streisands wireless vox mic for the Back to Brooklyn tour is the Audio Technica 5000 series

wireless with the AEW-T5400 Cardioid Condenser Handheld Microphone/Transmitter.

Sure looked like a Sennheiser

I think this same mic setup is what the Celtic Woman women used cause it looked exactly like the same mic.

• Members

Well I use Audio Technica large diaphragms for the single can mic setup for bluegrass.

I really do like AT large diaphragms.

I prefer the AT's over the AKG large diaphragms...BUT I did sound for a bluegrass act this summer

that had a Shure KSM44A large diaphragm mic and I was absolutely impressed with that microphone.

The articulation was truely amazing from the Shure KSM44A and what a great microphone!

• Members

Just saw the Celtic Woman 2013 Christmas concert on one of the local PBS's last night; probably the one OP saw... first time I've seen them use hand-held mics.  Two fewer women this year, too  :)

FWIW... and not so relevant to the handhelds they were using...  :)

As I understand it, the 892s are omni, so I chose Sennheiser's ME3 -- originally labeled as super-c and now only cardioid (not sure if that's a real change, or a correction, or marketing) -- because I was worried about picking up too much drums when I'm on the kit.  I don't know if the ME3 is in the same "quality" class as the 892s, but it works for me.  My mixer's "meter" shows me the ME3 senses hard strikes on the snare and upper toms, but not the cymbal, kick, or lower toms... and even though the meter light flashes, I can't hear any of that actually coming through the system.

At one time, I think a combo kit was available (maybe put together by the retailers) with the Sennheiser EW receiver, body pack, and ME3 PLUS and 892... and the advantage is the 892s are MUCH less visible/obstrusive than the ME3 boom... but the cost was of course higher...

I've learned later there's a Crown headmic that's usually recommended for drummers, with some slightly different pickup pattern (which Crown at one time named "differoid" (?) -- but I didn't know about that when I was shopping.

-D44

Archived